Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-19, 11:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyanne View Post
Thanks Sarah, I hadn't seen that until now.
I need to digest it a bit before know how to feel about it.
I appreciate you sharing the information with me.
No prob, I appreciate you sharing your info also.

If this seller is actually copying people's e-mails into their auction pages without their permission, that gives me a really good reason not to buy from them, no matter what is happening in this thread and no matter how wonderful the glass is. That is just wrong. No decent seller would do that.

I'm still curious about the glass, but this whole thing is pretty much over for me at this point. I hope I'm not missing out on much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 11:34pm
Just me

I know the glass owners are just starting out selling this glass and are eager to get good feedback but I don't see how that blurb about me was even worth using. I am finding it odd and kind of funny.

I did tell Jim in a PM about not getting the lt pink in my assortment and was thinking about getting some if the glass tested well for me. Jim did say he was going to email them and ask them to remove that part of his email to them. Hopefully they'll honor that request. Thank you Jim, I appreciate you doing that for me.

Sarah, we'll know one way or another what kind of sellers they are and how good the glass is before too long I'm sure. The glass community is small and information is shared openly.

Old 2009-01-19, 11:38pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
No prob, I appreciate you sharing your info also.

If this seller is actually copying people's e-mails into their auction pages without their permission, that gives me a really good reason not to buy from them, no matter what is happening in this thread and no matter how wonderful the glass is. That is just wrong. No decent seller would do that.

I'm still curious about the glass, but this whole thing is pretty much over for me at this point. I hope I'm not missing out on much.
They probably got carried away and meant no harm but I do agree with you that there are vendors that, due to their business practices, I refuse to trade with.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-01-20, 12:07am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
Sarah, If you would spend some time researching, instead of posting such negative posts, you would learn that India produces many of the world's lampworked beads. Sure, the most popular glass comes from Italy, but do you think all the glass produced in India is bad? I don't think so.
Jim
The sellers of this glass informed me they had tried glass from a number of companies in India before purchasing this.
Now that is kinda rude don't you think? She is right when she is skeptical when a new member just pops up and is giving props to new unidentified and really cheap glass. It's kinda strange when one person asks a question about this glass all of a sudden you decide to become a member and start posting about this specific subject. Howcome you felt the need to insult her like you just did?
If there's one person who does her homework when it comes to researching stuff it's Sarah.

I will remail sceptical about all this until I've heard from others about this glass too ( I am sceptical about every new glass on the block untill I've seen good results)

We've been burned before with new glass , bad batches for premium prices, or new glass wich turned out to be plain Czech glass but just renamed for selling purposes, expensive silvered glasses beeing sold under two or three different names.

Old 2009-01-20, 12:15am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

btw not beeing skeptical about you Jim, but I am skeptical about this glass and the way they handle their business ( quoting customers without asking them for permission for example)

There's really no way to tell if Devardi is completely compatible and as good as they claim it is. Lauscha claims to be compatible too, but I've had beads shatter on me 6 months after they were made, due to incompatibility, so a 24 hour old bead that hasn't cracked yet is nice but it doesn't mean this glass is compatible

I sure hope it is compatible and all that, I will definetly get some if they are as good as they claim to be, but for now it seems to good to be true

Old 2009-01-20, 12:18am

Quote:
I know the glass owners are just starting out selling this glass and are eager to get good feedback but I don't see how that blurb about me was even worth using. I am finding it odd and kind of funny.
I know, the part about you doesn't seem like a big deal, but Jim says his emails were pasted there without his permission, and that, in my book, is a big no-no. If a buyer of mine sends me a positive email about my beads, I would never DREAM of posting it into an auction of mine. Really, really bad business practice.

Anyway, if Natasha and co. are fully aware that their product is being discussed here, I don't understand why they don't just come in here and clear it up - I would think they'd want to, as this is where their potential client base is. There are many questions that need to be answered (and no, I'm not going to email them about it - if they believe in their product, let them do the work).

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-20, 12:19am
offically down under

I can add to that plain old regular vetrofond glass suddenly becoming an odd lot.

While you are not new to things glass, you are new to this board. Before you make comments about Sarah, you should know that she is one of the most respected lampworkers in the industry. Glass manufactures send her samples to test as they, too, recognizer her talent.

I hope this Indian Glass has merit as you can never have too much compatible glass

Old 2009-01-20, 12:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
Now that is kinda rude don't you think? She is right when she is skeptical when a new member just pops up and is giving props to new unidentified and really cheap glass. It's kinda strange when one person asks a question about this glass all of a sudden you decide to become a member and start posting about this specific subject. Howcome you felt the need to insult her like you just did?
If there's one person who does her homework when it comes to researching stuff it's Sarah.
Thank you, Suzanne.

It's interesting how I always end up being the one to get called nasty and uncivil. I never tell people to "do people a favor" and not buy something, tell them they are "bored or trying to run people off the forum" or imply that others are ignorant or haven't done their research.

|
|
|

Last edited by sarah_hornik; 2009-01-20 at 12:26am.
Old 2009-01-20, 12:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
While you are not new to things glass, you are new to this board. Before you make comments about Sarah, you should know that she is one of the most respected lampworkers in the industry. Glass manufactures send her samples to test as they, too, recognizer her talent.
Thanks.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-20, 12:56am

I don't think I would be all that about them quoting an email. Not everyone has the same set of 'rules' in their heads. It is more what they do after they have been asked to remove it from the auction. If they happily do as asked, no harm, no foul IMHO.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-01-20, 1:39am
I speak Murrini!

I'm interested!!! Of course, I LOVE the pinks, and some of the other colors (i.e., Baby Green, ALL the semi-opaques, the Dark Transparent Purple, the Gold Luster Powder, etc.) look just delicious, so I'm looking forward to hearing how it behaves for some of you who will be getting it soon!!!

I hope, if possible, posters will include photos - PLEASE!?!

I've got a question - maybe a dumb one, though...since the auction mentions "Devardi glass is a handmade, hand pulled glass that uses very ancient glass recipes..." does anyone know what the lead content of this glass might be? I ran through several of the auctions and didn't see a "make up" in terms of what's in there. Just curious...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-01-20, 1:52am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Unfortunately most glassmakers do not share that info. Unless a glass specifically says Lead-free (there are a few Kugler furnace colors that do)
then you can assume there is lead or arsenic as a fluxing agent in the batch. Some glass has more lead than others. Some of
the furnace colors are much heavier than 104 glass- the glass has more lead in it.

Old 2009-01-20, 2:00am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

You can sometimes see a lead "bloom" if a heavily leaded glass is heated incorrectly. Once Cynthia and I were playing around with her
Satake and japanese torch. We had something wrong (the air pump was too small for the torch) and even the white opaque was boiling
and off-gassing lead. (Basically reducing.) As soon as we realized it we stopped. It was a little scary! The tip of the rod was metallic.
I have never seen opaque white go metallic like that. I think the Satake lead colors do have a lot more lead than the regular 104 line.
It will be interesting to see what the Devardi glass is like. Fortunately it's inexpensive and if I don't like it, it can keep my Satake company.

Old 2009-01-20, 10:57am
Just me

I see what you're saying about pasting emails without consent, it's a good way to get into trouble. I was told they have said they'll be removing that from all their auctions (like 50). I hope they do, it will show what they're made of. Everyone makes mistakes and I can forgive this.

Being a small business owner myself I know what it's like to want your product out there getting noticed and good reviews, especially when just starting out.
It's hard being the little new guy on the block amongst big companies that have an established customer base.
Many people have a hard time trying new when they are happy with what they know. It takes time and word of mouth to build a reputation. Good or bad, it will come out, people talk.

I hope Natasha or Daniel come in and answer any questions, it would be good if they did. I don't know if they know about LE but I'm betting since this thread started they do now. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
I know, the part about you doesn't seem like a big deal, but Jim says his emails were pasted there without his permission, and that, in my book, is a big no-no. If a buyer of mine sends me a positive email about my beads, I would never DREAM of posting it into an auction of mine. Really, really bad business practice.

Anyway, if Natasha and co. are fully aware that their product is being discussed here, I don't understand why they don't just come in here and clear it up - I would think they'd want to, as this is where their potential client base is. There are many questions that need to be answered (and no, I'm not going to email them about it - if they believe in their product, let them do the work).

Old 2009-01-20, 11:24am
Just me

Thanks Pam I just caught this part of your post and added it to my list of test beads to make.

So far, the plan is to get some torch time tonight, unless my hub gets slammed with coffee orders, which happens more often lately but is random. Not complaining, it's a good thing.

If anyone has any other suggestions for test beads or any thing they are curious about the glass, let me know and I'll do my best to get all of it done tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Bubby, one thing you might want to try is making spacers with moretti on the outside and the new glass on the inside, and then make a second spacer with the new glass on the inside and moretti on the outside. In fact, I would make them small and not even anneal them, just to see what happens. Otherwise, just have fun!!

Old 2009-01-20, 12:28pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
I have never seen opaque white go metallic like that.
Zimmerman White's do. Bullseye Whites will go gray. My studio is torn up right now (DH decided to paint it yesterday) else I would go get my test books out and tell you for certain which brands will and won't - but the 2 I mentioned I'm certain of.

I am very tempted to test this glass out, and probably will at some point, but right now I've got so many to test I don't want to really add more to the list till I get more done.

Have a Terrific Tuesday all!

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-01-20, 1:48pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Kalera, No, I do not know them and I definately am not related to them. I have never talked with them over the phone, only by email. I ask a lot of questions. I even had to ask him to email me the chart. I only found out tonight when they planned to reorder the glass. I'm sorry I relayed so much information to all of you. I guess I was excited about the glass and it was overload. Less and maybe I would not be on here defending myself. Some of you are not worth my time. I would take a lie detector test, if it was possible. I do not think some on this board would believe me after that. But, you know what, I don't think this board is worthy of someone that has tried to help them and do exactly as they asked one to do.
You know what you can do with your "reserved judgment." I will be the gentleman I am and not tell you. Don't buy the glass - I could care less. No money out of my pocket.
Sarah - Do them a favor and "Don't buy the glass!"
Barb lives ten minutes from them. She is the only one that has met them I know of.
If you have further questions, maybe she could answer them. I'm through with all of this Bullshit! Not worth it.
Jim
There's no need to be passive aggressively sarcastic with your reply to straightforward and non-accusatory questions. Frankly, the defensiveness raises more red flags for me than anything else did.

Old 2009-01-20, 1:52pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Some of you are not worth my time.
Quote:
But, you know what, I don't think this board is worthy of someone that has tried to help them and do exactly as they asked one to do.

Quote:
You know what you can do with your "reserved judgment." I will be the gentleman I am and not tell you.
Quote:
I'm through with all of this Bullshit! Not worth it.
Jim

Just really... wow. I explained clearly and politely why I had doubts, and I asked a simple question directly and honestly, and this is the "gentlemanly" response.

Old 2009-01-20, 2:02pm

Kalera, He has every right to be irritated with the lot of you. All the man did was lay out his money to test this glass for you like Sarah encouraged him to do. He has been a member for 4 months before this came up..

What in the world would constitute enough proof of this mans innocence so that those who have accused him of dirty business practices would offer an apology.

If he was in leauge with these people he wouldn't heve been sending them those emails(that they posted on their auction) detailing exactly what he has said here. And he would have got his damn glass free.
'
And even if I'm wrong. People here would be much wiser to err on the side of caution when accusing other people of horrid things. If anyone has reservations about a new product or glass all they have to do is not buy, or buy a 1/4 pound and test out the new vendor and the glass.
Old 2009-01-20, 2:14pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
I see what you're saying about pasting emails without consent, it's a good way to get into trouble. I was told they have said they'll be removing that from all their auctions (like 50). I hope they do, it will show what they're made of. Everyone makes mistakes and I can forgive this.

Being a small business owner myself I know what it's like to want your product out there getting noticed and good reviews, especially when just starting out.
It's hard being the little new guy on the block amongst big companies that have an established customer base.
Many people have a hard time trying new when they are happy with what they know. It takes time and word of mouth to build a reputation. Good or bad, it will come out, people talk.

I hope Natasha or Daniel come in and answer any questions, it would be good if they did. I don't know if they know about LE but I'm betting since this thread started they do now. lol.
Bubby~~~

I appreciate the kind spirit behind your post - and you are sweet to proffer forgiveness...have we not all been new and excited and, hence, error-prone?

I checked several of the eBay listings I had bookmarked and it seems references involving you have been deleted as of this a.m.; a step in a positive direction if you ask me and that's a redeemable quality for anyone new, interested in learning how to please a customer and saving face! I'm even more interested in this glass - now more than ever....!!!!

Can't wait to see the feedback and photos from those who'll be receiving their shipments soon!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-01-20, 2:21pm

Boy I am sorry I even started this thread. The last thing I wanted was people fighting.

Mini-CC& M-5 oxycon

Old 2009-01-20, 2:24pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison D View Post
Kalera, He has every right to be irritated with the lot of you. All the man did was lay out his money to test this glass for you like Sarah encouraged him to do. He has been a member for 4 months before this came up..

What in the world would constitute enough proof of this mans innocence so that those who have accused him of dirty business practices would offer an apology.

If he was in leauge with these people he wouldn't heve been sending them those emails(that they posted on their auction) detailing exactly what he has said here. And he would have got his damn glass free.
'
And even if I'm wrong. People here would be much wiser to err on the side of caution when accusing other people of horrid things. If anyone has reservations about a new product or glass all they have to do is not buy, or buy a 1/4 pound and test out the new vendor and the glass.
I am not "the lot of you". I am one person.

You know, like I said, I explained why I had doubts, explained (as several have before me) that people have deceived us before, and asked a straightforward question.

None of us knows this man. We are being asked to trust a complete stranger, without an introduction, without reservation, and without asking questions. I don't think that expressing doubt, explaining why, and asking a direct and politely-worded question in any way deserved the angry, hostile response I got. If I went to a strange forum and signed up with no publicly-viewable information about who I was, and without introducing myself gave rave reviews to a new product on the market, I would expect skepticism, not become angry and hostile toward those who asked the obvious question of whether I was working with the seller.

It is really nice of Jim to share his results. However, his responses to those who are cautious or skeptical of trusting a stranger (something we are all trained to do from an early age!) reveal him to be not a nice person, at all, and they do nothing to allay my doubts. After this interaction with the man, and what he said to me in response to my cautiously explained and carefully politely-worded question, I want nothing more to do with him or anything he's associated with, ever.

Old 2009-01-20, 2:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn View Post
Boy I am sorry I even started this thread. The last thing I wanted was people fighting.
Please don't worry about it, it's not your fault. You asked a very legitimate question and I am glad you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I am not "the lot of you". I am one person.

You know, like I said, I explained why I had doubts, explained (as several have before me) that people have deceived us before, and asked a straightforward question.

None of us knows this man. We are being asked to trust a complete stranger, without an introduction, without reservation, and without asking questions. I don't think that expressing doubt, explaining why, and asking a direct and politely-worded question in any way deserved the angry, hostile response I got. If I went to a strange forum and signed up with no publicly-viewable information about who I was, and without introducing myself gave rave reviews to a new product on the market, I would expect skepticism, not become angry and hostile toward those who asked the obvious question of whether I was working with the seller.

It is really nice of Jim to share his results. However, his responses to those who are cautious or skeptical of trusting a stranger (something we are all trained to do from an early age!) reveal him to be not a nice person, at all, and they do nothing to allay my doubts. After this interaction with the man, and what he said to me in response to my cautiously explained and carefully politely-worded question, I want nothing more to do with him or anything he's associated with, ever.
Yep, well said.

Quote:

'
For the record, I did not "encourage" Jim to do anything, he came on here and announced that he was giving the glass a try. I have asked a few questions, and my "horrid accusations" have been studded with apologies-in-advance and admissions that I could be wrong. I know, I will always end up being the nasty one no matter what I say, but I am not the one being rude and slinging insults at people. I will not be apologizing, as I have nothing to apologize for. I am asking legitimate questions - questions many people would like to know the answers to. I am just the one who is asking them out loud.

The one thing I have encouraged Jim to do, is try out other areas of the forum and share his knowledge with us, since this is what he claims he wants to do. However, the only thing he seems interested in helping people with, is buying Devardi glass.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-20, 3:00pm
Sugar Boogers

Hi Jim,

If you are still here....

Thanks for sharing your new glass experience. I am just wondering if you tried encasing silver with it and how that worked out and it the clear stayed clear over the silver.

Best Regards
Old 2009-01-20, 3:21pm
moth to the flame

Quote:

If he was in league with these people he wouldn't have been sending them those emails(that they posted on their auction) detailing exactly what he has said here. And he would have got his damn glass free.
'
Well said and that is exactly what I did. I bought ¼lb of 4 colors I liked to try out. Easy peasy...I spent 10.00 to find out myself rather than sling out insinuations that anyone is doing anything underhanded.
Now I just have to find the patience to wait for it to get here...that is the tough part

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-01-20, 3:41pm
Resident hippie

My first thought when I saw Jim laying out the expense of buying the glass, posting his experiences and taking responsiblity for being the 'guinea pig' was "Well, good for you, Jim" I felt grateful to him for taking the risk on behalf of us all.
I did not experience the Monique event and so I have not the same degree of suspicion that some of us here legitimately have.
I do feel however, that Jim has been pilloried for just sticking his nose above the parapet with good intentions, just trying to help.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2009-01-20, 3:42pm
Ad astra per aspera

Has anyone tested color 71, the pale white translucent-looking color? It reminds me a lot of the the P.I.G. Moonstone that made me swoon and broke my heart. Please, someone, tell me it's safe to fall in love again?

Last edited by DesertDreamer; 2009-01-20 at 9:18pm. Reason: typos
Old 2009-01-20, 3:43pm
Just me

I have a half pound of that color and will be testing it tonight. Anything specific you want to know about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
Has anyone tested color 71, the pale white translucent-looking color? It reminds me a lof the the P.I.B. Moonstone that made me swoon and broke my heart. Please, someone, tell me it's safe to fall in love again?

Old 2009-01-20, 3:47pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
I have a half pound of that color and will be testing it tonight. Anything specific you want to know about it?
Oh bless you! I guess the most important things are whether it encases easily (esp with transparent colors like amethyst or topaz), and whether it's shocky or tends to reduce/soot up. Those were the major issues with the Moonstone. I lost 2/3 of one rod to endless shocking and just wanted to cry. (That became the first time I ever made stringer from frit. LOL) Good luck!!!!

Old 2009-01-20, 4:09pm
Senior Moment

Oh cool, new glass! Thanks Jim...the pix look encouraging
And if anyone does get shocky batches of glass you can try this if you want... A number of years ago I got a lot of unstruck rubino oro that spit, shocked and cracked (heck I think it even might farted) I took the whole batch and reannealed in my kiln...And then all rods played together happily ever after...
Love some of those pinks! Yummy,
Cheers,
Patricia

Nortel Mega Minor w/ EX 15 Oxy Con

Tags
devardi, missing posts?