LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-20, 4:12pm

Hello, I said I was not going to post again, but after the large number of PMs I received last night, I just wanted to say "Thank you!" I really enjoyed our conversations, but I am too old to pull another all-nighter. You do not have to come to my defense. Time will tell about the merits of this glass. I only did what I was asked to do, and with more posts came more interrogration and it was almost to the point of harrasment.

Kalera, I would like to apologize to you. When I am wrong, I will be the first to admit it.
When you posted, I was ready to give it up and I just dumped on you. You all have the right to be cautious or skeptical of a stranger on the board. But, members on this board encouraged me to do this. Contrary to what is thought, as another member stated, I was a member for four months already and learned about Devardi glass from the post here. Some of you did not give this glass time to be tested. Some of you should be receiving your glass soon. Please post your results, good or bad. If everthing goes well, Barb should be posting her results tomorrow.
I will not be posting any more concerning Devardi glass. When I emailed Daniel this morning concerning the removal of the eBay post concerning Barb, I encouraged him or his wife, Natasha, to introduce themselves on this board, if they planned to stay in this business. He stated they will do it, as soon as they catch up on shipping orders. They have been busy removing the posts on eBay. I hope you welcome them and give them a chance.
Sarah, Tips and Techniques and Garage are my favorite ones. I do not have too much time to post, and I am not promoting myself or any products, so should I do this to please you?
I was excited and felt good about myself for trying to help people in this thread but "no more."
If any of you on this thread purchased Devardi glass because of my posts and do not like it, contact me and I will purchase it from you. I like the glass and what I do not use, my wife can sell in her shop. Now, it is a win-win situation for all of you. See, I am not trying to sell it, I want to buy it!
Sarah, as far as I am concerned, this is over. This thread is not about me, or you, it is about glass. That is the one reason we are all here.
For years I thought I would like to have the time to post, develop relationships on a board, and when I do, it does not materialize.
So, thanks and I cannot tell you all how much I have learned from the board. Even though I have not belonged to LE long, I have been a lurker and a fan for years. You are a good bunch, I just hope a couple rotten apples do not ruin the barrell.
Regards, Jim

PS: Candyann, Thank you. I hope next week to work with the glass again and try it with foils and mesh. I have seen better clears. The transparent green also had bubbles. The grey bead in the pic. is Devardi glass encased with Moretti. No cracks at all. Even though I had no cracks in any of the beads I annealed, I will be testing further with my two polorized sheets, when a friend returns them. Another poster stated there was no way to test if they have stress. This method has been used in glass for years. For those of you that have not used it, you actually see a halo when stress between the two is present.
Old 2009-01-20, 4:20pm

For the record, Jim's post on the 11 Jan was not his first. He was looking for mandrels on the 4 Nov 08. Sarah said she would try it for a BIN price. Jim was enthusiastic and arranged it and then Sarah stated she had doubts about his involvement. Then a row of people jumped on the bandwagon with doubts about his integrity and Jim comes back with a denial and gives his home state etc being a long way from 'Devardi' sellers and the fact that he is retired etc. In spite of his denial, Sarah again states she has doubts about him.

Not everyone who visits LE is a poster. Jim was asked a lot of questions and tried to answer as best he could. He was enthusiastic about the glass and the price and why not? I probably would have been the same...

The point is: he denied any business involvement and still had 'the pointing finger' directed at him again. That's not right...that's not justice. Why question someone's integrity with no proof, only the fact that someone, somewhere in the past proved to be without it? What had he done besides being willing to help?
And why do it publicly when it should have been asked off forum if you really had to ask? And to top it all off, why persist when he denied it?
And if he got angry and sarcastic...well I wonder why?

I know I am not the only to whom this has left a very bad taste in my mouth.......

REgards
Kym
Old 2009-01-20, 4:24pm

Oops, Sorry Jim, I obviously didn't see your post while I was mulling over mine.
Tho' I don't retract anything, I would have rathered let you have the last word on it.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-01-20, 4:30pm
product of the universe

I just wanna know about the glass. Is it good? Is it bad? Hopefully its good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-01-20, 4:37pm

Possibly you could buy a sampler and let everyone know what you think?
I would but the transport costs are enormous to us at the moment. I am making do with what I have.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-01-20, 4:46pm
I'm a lilac!

Thank you, Jim, I appreciate the apology.

Old 2009-01-20, 4:49pm

Me too!

Love,
Sarah the Rotten Apple

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-20, 5:52pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
Kalera, No, I do not know them and I definately am not related to them. I have never talked with them over the phone, only by email. I ask a lot of questions. I even had to ask him to email me the chart. I only found out tonight when they planned to reorder the glass. I'm sorry I relayed so much information to all of you. I guess I was excited about the glass and it was overload. Less and maybe I would not be on here defending myself. Some of you are not worth my time. I would take a lie detector test, if it was possible. I do not think some on this board would believe me after that. But, you know what, I don't think this board is worthy of someone that has tried to help them and do exactly as they asked one to do.
You know what you can do with your "reserved judgment." I will be the gentleman I am and not tell you. Don't buy the glass - I could care less. No money out of my pocket.
Sarah - Do them a favor and "Don't buy the glass!"
Barb lives ten minutes from them. She is the only one that has met them I know of.
If you have further questions, maybe she could answer them. I'm through with all of this Bullshit! Not worth it.
Jim
I'm sorry but as I read this thread the only person I see being rude is Jim. People here are just asking questions about a new glass... I really don't understand why you (Jim) have become so hostile and rude.

This is a forum full of talented artists...people who have worked with glass for decades. They have the right to ask questions about a new glass.

I'm sorry but this post just really bothers me.

Old 2009-01-20, 6:56pm
disco granola punk

I had a phone conversation with Jim today, and I think he is a nice guy who offered information without realizing some of the upheavals that have been going on around here. he's pretty new to lampworking, but has been in stained glass for years, and after speaking with him I believe he's exactly who he says he is and will be a real asset to the LE community for his knowledge of kilns and glass, even though he's a newbie lampworker.

Jim, I'm glad you made the suggestions you did to the Devardi glass distributors, and I hope they take your advice and jump in so people can get to know them, once things settle down after their unexpected rush of orders. I'd love to see them put some information up on a website or in their ebay profile about the glass, and where and how it's made. one thing that concerns me about why it's such a good deal is that wages are really low in India, and working conditions aren't always safe, so I hope the distributors have chosen to work with a company that treats its people well.

I'm interested in this glass after talking with you, and I hope you get your new version of photoshop figured out soon so we can see some pix of your work

(retired from lampworking due to ill health)
Old 2009-01-20, 7:12pm

Just warn them to peep around the corner or throw up a white flag before they come in! Just kidding of course

Michelle

Old 2009-01-20, 7:49pm
Hat or Cake?

God help them if they join and then post in the wrong place...
Old 2009-01-20, 8:03pm

hmmm.

okay.

well I'm cautious personally and always take reviews with a grain of salt.

so I'm not at all sure I'll love this glass. not even sure I'll try this glass.

okay who am I kidding, I'll end up trying this glass if there are not dozens of horror stories posted by the time I get around to ordering.

but until I try it... I'll believe that people are honestly sharing their thoughts and experiences. However my feelings may be different. Lets face it people tell me great things about shitty products all the time- that only means I disagree not that they are evil people.

as to weather or not Jim is somehow connected to them, well I believe he is not. I think if someone who had been on the board for a few months had cheap glass for sale we would see it in the garage sale, or a mention in the bathroom. Not hear of it the first time as a convoluted, complex charade of false identities.

perhaps I am wrong but I just don't think its worth months of planing and laying in wait to deceive people in order to sell a few $10.00 glass samplers.

Old 2009-01-20, 8:05pm

Good post Natasha. Clear and concise. I hope in future to try your glass.

Regards
Kym
Old 2009-01-20, 8:14pm
And silence is golden

It's PEEP SHOWTIME!

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn View Post
Boy I am sorry I even started this thread. The last thing I wanted was people fighting.
I'm not glad to see the current rage of forum behavior, BUT I am glad that you started this thread for all of us to get acquainted with this glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
Has anyone tested color 71, the pale white translucent-looking color? It reminds me a lof the the P.I.B. Moonstone that made me swoon and broke my heart. Please, someone, tell me it's safe to fall in love again?
Hello Karen. I'm a fan of the translucent white colors. Who manufactured the Moonstone glass and what were it's downfalls? I'm anxious to see some test results from the 71 myself.

AND JIM....thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread and for reporting as you were requested.

Last edited by Shrimp; 2009-01-20 at 8:19pm.
Old 2009-01-20, 8:16pm
Senior Moment

Thanks Natasha,
Welcome here and good luck in your endeavors..Nice introduction.....I look forward to seeing pix of and hearing peeps impressions of your glass,
Cheers,
Patricia

Nortel Mega Minor w/ EX 15 Oxy Con

Old 2009-01-20, 8:16pm

Natasha, thank you for posting in here. I have a couple of questions.

1. Could you tell us where this glass comes from exactly, and what kind of conditions the people who make it are working in?

2. What do you mean when you say in your auction pages that this glass "is not like the stripped down commercial varieties that flood the market"? Do you feel that there is something wrong with the glass most of us use?

I'm really wondering about this, and I'd appreciate it if you could respond.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-20, 8:32pm
offically down under

Welcome Natasha and Daniel,

I would like to welcome you to LE. We are a very nice group of lampworkers and I look forward to hearing good results from your glass.

Old 2009-01-20, 8:38pm
Just me

Hi Natasha,
I'm Barb, who came and picked up the glass last Friday.
I'm glad to see you here and hope you are made to feel welcome.
I'm sure there will be plenty of questions for you.

Old 2009-01-20, 8:39pm
I'm not Barbie.

where can one find a color chart?
Old 2009-01-20, 8:39pm

Natasha thank you so much for your gracious post to this thread! Best wishes on your new business endeavor!

Michelle

Old 2009-01-20, 8:41pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebeadz* View Post
where can one find a color chart?
Post #94 in this thread. Not sure where one can find a chart with all of the color names corresponding with their numbers.

Last edited by Shrimp; 2009-01-20 at 9:34pm.
Old 2009-01-20, 8:45pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Welcome to LE, Natasha! Good luck with the new glass.

Old 2009-01-20, 8:58pm

Hi Natasha and co!! and welcome to LE ,Jim ,you too!,
and thanks for the info Jim, I appreciated it.
I will trying this glass! the colours look good and great prices.

Old 2009-01-20, 9:08pm

That's worrying me too....I haven't checked out CIM's working conditions either.... or Double Helix....Gosh, I think I need a fact finding tour at once. Purely for conscience reasons, of course...I wouldn't buy any glass, I promise, if I could get it funded by the ARTs Council of Australia.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-01-20, 9:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
That's worrying me too....I haven't checked out CIM's working conditions either.... or Double Helix....Gosh, I think I need a fact finding tour at once. Purely for conscience reasons, of course...I wouldn't buy any glass, I promise, if I could get it funded by the ARTs Council of Australia.

Cheers
Kym
The CiM factory is supervised by an American company... you can read more about it here:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=38

I don't know about DH, never really researched them.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-20, 9:16pm

Thanks, Natasha.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-20, 9:19pm
Ad astra per aspera

Aleta, see these posts for info about that previous glass and its problems. I don't want to repost it now and have it become confused with the Devardi.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=12

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=20

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...&postcount=149

Old 2009-01-20, 9:32pm
She better not sell these

Natasha,

Thank you for your information. The glass looks lovely.

Let us know when you get a website. I refuse to bid for glass when there are so many good suppliers out there who have regular websites. I don't like paying seller fees and I don't care to compete with my fellow glassmakers for glass, I would rather share glass than bid against them.

Wishing you well in your future in glass, I hope you find it as exciting and entrancing as I have.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2009-01-20, 9:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
The CiM factory is supervised by an American company... you can read more about it here:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=38

I don't know about DH, never really researched them.
Sarah, can't go on a fact finding tour if I have facts in hand.....well I could if I was a politician.....but as grantbegging beadmaker I need to tour in total ignorance!

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-01-20, 9:38pm
Burning through glass

So, geeze, all I wanna see are some bead picts in action, and read some really really good test notes, which I'm dying to read and see....as much as everyonone else!

For me, I see some bitter-sweetness here in this thread.... Well, so what, big deal, the cost of this stuff is a drop in the bucket to try and 'play' with compared to the cost of trying out some new DH etc. for instance , I dont see the big deal in getting some glass to play with and decide if it works well with other glass, or for the artist for that matter....time will tell if it works well with the other glasses on the market, and besides, most artists wont gamble their reputation on a glass that hasn't been THOROUGHLY tested in their own studio, and cross referencing with other artists before their creations go out to the public anyway. It's good to play, and maybe there'll be some happy surprises along the way for all of us to learn from. It's too soon to be 'ruffled' over this glass....let's just see some work with it, and get some long-term constructive input.
That been said, I do think it's important to ask some questions about 'new' glass itself, as Sarah has pointed out as well as others. We all expect a certain 'safeness' in working glass, I'm not sure who mentioned the lead in glass (working the Satake glass for instance), I think that's a very valid question about asking what the makeup of a particular brand of glass is.....we need some basic background (well, I do anyway ).
Ok, where's the working pictures?

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2009-01-20 at 10:10pm.

Tags
devardi, missing posts?