The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-10-25, 10:55am
backroombeads

Location: Fairplay Colorado (the REAL South Park) central mountains
Default vent your kiln too!

I don't know how I got along as far as I did lampworking without ever hearing that your kiln should be vented too. I knew my pottery kiln needed venting when I could see the corrosion happening on metal surfaces in my studio. Between the mercury exposure from my dental fillings and the undetectable, but still toxic, fumes from my annealing kiln, I am now no longer able to make a decent bead due to the tremors in my hands. I see a lot of threads here dealing with ventilation and it can't be stressed enough how important this safety factor is to your health. You can find all my glass up for auction on ebay and my equipment on Craig's List. Have fun, but be safe.
Old 2013-10-30, 10:14am

Are the toxic gases released from the glass or the kiln elements or kiln brick?
I'm curious to know how many people vent their kilns? I don't but maybe I should. I've Not found much information on the subject. I gave up looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-10-30, 10:35am
old fart

for most lampworking, there is no need to vent your kiln....if you use powers, or enamels, you need to vent for safety, but not the kiln.

Old 2013-10-30, 11:01am
backroombeads

Location: Fairplay Colorado (the REAL South Park) central mountains

I think any time you apply heat to another substance,metal glass, the chemicals that make up glazes, there is a reaction that is toxic to us. The chemicals that make the colors in the glass would probably be the issue in heating glass. I wouldn't have any idea how to test this theory, but hobbies requiring any flaming were always a question on the neurologists questionaires that they ask you to fill out, so it's suspicious. If you can vent your kiln, I sure would.
Old 2013-10-30, 4:26pm

I've not known any lampworkers to vent their kilns, just potters. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done and it has made me curious since I read your thread.

Old 2013-10-30, 5:00pm
Wonder-wench

I can see the point of venting the fumes from molten glass, but it seems to me that once the glass has hardened and is in the kiln, what fumes could be coming off? I know that glass is considered one of the best materials to avoid contamination for scientific work.

Old 2013-10-30, 6:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphousDesigns View Post
I can see the point of venting the fumes from molten glass, but it seems to me that once the glass has hardened and is in the kiln, what fumes could be coming off? I know that glass is considered one of the best materials to avoid contamination for scientific work.
That.
Old 2013-10-30, 6:35pm
honorary bead lady

http://www.paragonweb.com/files/manu..._Technical.pdf
SEE LINE 7

Now a FUSING kiln would be another matter, or if you are using shelf liner, enamels, glue, or glass paints that will burn off in the kiln, but then PROPER studio ventilation would take care of that.
Old 2013-10-31, 3:14am

David, thanks for posting the link. It certainly eases my mind.

Old 2013-10-31, 8:26am

There is no need to vent the kiln for garage/annealing glass, HOWEVER, I vent both of my large 20 x 20 x 20 kilns just to remove the heat from within the studio in the summer. Hood over the top with a hang over lip takes the heat up and out. When your kiln is new and burning off binders would be a temporary reason to vent. If it is a little bead making kiln, just position it under the area you normally would torch and run it through a curing cycle to break in the new bricks slowly and burn off the binder odor.

Our process is not like pottery or fusing. We do not take powderd glass / sheet glass to melting temp during annealing. Now if you start playing with decals, enamels, slumping/fusing, irrid spray, Hanovia gold or luster coat, etc... you vent. Potters vent for two fold reasons. It keeps the colors pure and removes toxins. If a potter did not vent the glaze colors would cause a chemical interaction with one another (not desired). If we vented in the same manner they did the structural stability of the glass would be compromised. They draw air through their kiln.

I have my blood tested for heavy metals along with a chest Xray annually. Been at the torch for 9-10 years working 33coe/96coe/104coe/90coe. Small beads, marbles, very large heavy wall tubing type processes on small torches to large torches. All clean... In my opinion the larger concern is not over venting the kiln, it is poor torch ventilation. That is where you are at risk.

~ Starleen

Last edited by *StarleensStudio*; 2013-10-31 at 8:41am.