Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2011-10-07, 7:54am

Default Can someone please help me?

Hello,

My name is Paul and I live in Littleton, Colorado. I desperately need someones help.

My Dad owns a Skydive Business. When I was a kid he had this glass skydiver under a parachute. It broke in one of his moves and I am trying to have someone make one for him for his Birthday. I've attached a image of what it looked like. It stood about 12 inches tall.

Is this something you can do? If not, can you refer someone to me? I am looking to have this done as soon as possible.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you.

--
Paul Maynard Photography

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(303) 434-0822

Relaxed, Fun, & Free Flowing.

The special moments with the one you love most...exactly the way you remember them.
Old 2011-10-07, 8:53am

Wow Paul, that's cool! I'm strictly a frit girl or organic bead girl, but that looks like incredible heat control with soft glass or something that one of the boro guys could do. Maybe Mr. Smiley might be able to point someone at it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-10-07, 8:55am

hey im new here and somewhat new to flameworking but have started in larger pieces,just met some new people in a class with roger parramore, will ask some of the other people in the class if they know people, ill be back there tomorrow and will ask them.
Old 2011-10-07, 10:25am
Loving learning

I put a post in the boro room, hope you find someone, I think it's really nice that you're doing that for him.
Old 2011-10-07, 11:45am
That which you are given

don't know if this guy does oders but his work is very much like the item you want made maybe you can figure out how to contact him and ask

Old 2011-10-07, 3:38pm

This piece is done in "spun glass artistry".

My Mom did it years ago, yes it is done in boro ... unfortunately she doesn't do it anymore even tho I BEG her to get back on the torch.

I have tried it a couple of times ... but ... like everything else, it takes alot of practice to get good at it ... so unfortunately I'm not any help at replacing it other than suggesting that you do an internet search for "spun glass artistry". There's not many folks that do it anymore.

Good luck in your search

Cheryl

Old 2011-10-07, 3:57pm
Loving learning

I remember watching someone years ago at Disney World in Orlando, he would sit & do it in one of the shops and visitors could watch.
Old 2011-10-07, 4:06pm
PyronamixK

GlassCraft in Golden used to specialize in making loop stitch/running stitch glass pianos and sold them to gift shops all over the country before becoming a supply business.
Maybe you can call them and see if they can put you in touch with someone local who still does that sort of work. If they don't know, then maybe someone there can put you in touch with Rich and Janelle, who are no longer with GlassCraft, but might know someone who can do that work.
Old 2011-10-07, 4:47pm

Quote:
I remember watching someone years ago at Disney World in Orlando, he would sit & do it in one of the shops and visitors could watch.
Didn't Bill Rassmussen do that there?
Old 2011-10-07, 5:17pm

On the cover of "The Flow" is a piece that looks like it's made with a similar technique by an artist named Robert Mickelsen. His web addy is
. Hope that might help you!

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-10-08, 2:16am
Boro Bum

talk to Christian Arnold "wicked glass "or Robert Mickelsen or others in that category they can surly help you out

I will let wicked glass know when i see him tonite.

AcidFly

Old 2011-10-08, 7:05am
boro color bender

David Sandidge... he's your man... Orlando Florida... works for Disney and does the loop stitch castles... he can loop stitch anything...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-10-08, 7:06am
boro color bender

<---- his email for ya...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-10-08, 7:06am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
don't know if this guy does oders but his work is very much like the item you want made maybe you can figure out how to contact him and ask

I second this, I think TimiaGlass would be your man.

ETA: Sorry Brent, I didn't see your post, I should read through them all before posting.

Old 2011-10-08, 9:45pm
senior citizen lampworker

I will give it a try. Woven work it what I do best. PM me and lets talk.
Mike

A YouTube video I made:
Old 2011-10-08, 11:37pm

I spent 30 years working larger boro sculptures with both solid and knit glass and would have loved to do this for you but I was just in two auto accidents this week. (ouch) My friend Kemp Curtis has a lot of experience in large boro sculptures and knit glass, and he also worked at Disneyland. It would be another person to check for availability and price.

Vickie

My website:

Old 2011-10-09, 3:34am

Check your email, the image file is too large to post here(phone won't make it smaller). It should be finished this evening after work. Let me know what you think.
Darren
Old 2011-10-11, 7:09am

How is this? Have a better one in kiln now.
Attached Images

Old 2011-10-11, 8:52am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

FABULOUS!!!!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-10-11, 9:24am
Master Procrastinator

WOW! That's amazing! Nice job Darren!

Old 2011-10-11, 9:55am
Mama said

BRAVO!

This is so heartwarming! Please tell us the rest of the story...how your father likes it, etc...
Old 2011-10-11, 4:31pm

It's not that good really, but thanks for the compliments. I made another,and making one more tonight. Try to make it more like the original. Let me know if they interest you as a potential solution for you. Thanks,
Darren
Old 2011-10-11, 7:12pm
Plumb

looks pretty darned good to me!

Old 2011-10-11, 7:47pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
It's not that good really, but thanks for the compliments. I made another,and making one more tonight. Try to make it more like the original. Let me know if they interest you as a potential solution for you. Thanks,
Darren
Darren - I would suggest you try to reach Paul with a PM or email. He doesn't seem to have notification set up, as he didn't come back into the thread yet.

He might not even know yet about your fab work.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-10-11, 9:52pm

33 years ago my wedding cake top was made out of spun/stitched glass - big heart in the middle with a bird on each side, bells suspended in the middle. All I have left are the bells as a roof leak got the storage box wet and it smashed. It sure is nice to know there are people that can possibly remake it!
Old 2011-10-12, 3:11am

Quote:
Darren - I would suggest you try to reach Paul with a PM or email. He doesn't seem to have notification set up, as he didn't come back into the thread yet.

He might not even know yet about your fab work.
I have done both already, no response as of yet.
Old 2011-10-12, 7:28am

Darren,

That looks incredible. Someone contacted me last week and is making me a piece already. How much would you charge for this and is it stable enough to ship?

Contact me directly at

Thanks.
Old 2011-10-12, 7:46am

Quote:
Darren,

That looks incredible. Someone contacted me last week and is making me a piece already. How much would you charge for this and is it stable enough to ship?

Contact me directly at

Thanks.
Absolutely stable enough to ship, the second one is much better, and closer to the original,and of course is shippable. As well. As far as price goes,check your Pm's.
Thanks,
Darren
Old 2011-10-12, 7:59pm

Quote:
33 years ago my wedding cake top was made out of spun/stitched glass - big heart in the middle with a bird on each side, bells suspended in the middle. All I have left are the bells as a roof leak got the storage box wet and it smashed. It sure is nice to know there are people that can possibly remake it!
That sounds exactly like our wedding cake topper..30 years Ago. Mine broke too