LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-22, 4:24pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Default Is this "real" red copper green?

Do I have gold? Or fool's gold?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-22, 4:31pm
Detail G-Mama!

That first picture looks like gold meaning you have the red copper green!! The last shot looks more like coral to me than red.

Old 2005-06-22, 4:54pm
Back from the Dark Side

Looks like the really red stuff to me, but I see you have too much...feel free to send half my way

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-06-22, 7:41pm
sunscreen me baby

Well I have lots of the new red copper green and I don't have multiple rings of red in the cross section. And the outside is red but you can still see green.
I want to see what yours can do. Encase it in clear and get back to me. If you see pink/red under the clear then you have a gold mine (But let me have first dibs, ok? )

~

Old 2005-06-22, 8:17pm
Life in the slow lane

Looks real to me. I heard they have a new batch in from overseas. I can't wait to get my hands on some more.

Old 2005-06-23, 5:09am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Looks like GOLD!

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2005-06-23, 5:16am
boro color bender

That's it... it looks exactly like the few old rods I have.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-06-23, 7:48am
Established Thinker I Am

so is this from an old purchase or did you just recently buy it?

Serena

l
l
l
Old 2005-06-23, 8:26am
Certified Glassaholic!

Thanks everyone for your expert opinions! I'm copper green challenged so even more so when it comes to the subtleties of red copper green.

Serena - I got this bunch a while back but with all the talk about "real" vs. "fake" I thought I'd verify to see if this was the "good" stuff.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 2005-06-23, 9:03am
One Crazy Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers
Thanks everyone for your expert opinions! I'm copper green challenged so even more so when it comes to the subtleties of red copper green.

Serena - I got this bunch a while back but with all the talk about "real" vs. "fake" I thought I'd verify to see if this was the "good" stuff.

Thanks again everyone!
you are so lucky~ have fun playing with it

Old 2012-06-15, 3:44am

So red copper green is worth something these days?

Old 2012-06-15, 9:59am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiesJewels View Post
So red copper green is worth something these days?
Probably but this thread is from 7 years ago. The last batch of red copper green I got was no where near red and no where near green at all. It was totally brown and when I melted it, it was brown. So disappointed. The stuff that's pictured above, with the circles, is what I use to have a long time ago and it was so cool.

Old 2012-06-15, 12:24pm
Glass-aholic

It's real. It looks exactly like mine

Eta wow 7 yea ago... How did this get draged to the top?

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-06-15, 4:53pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
Probably but this thread is from 7 years ago. The last batch of red copper green I got was no where near red and no where near green at all. It was totally brown and when I melted it, it was brown. So disappointed. The stuff that's pictured above, with the circles, is what I use to have a long time ago and it was so cool.
Yes...the new batch is much darker, not nearly as good as the batch before that. This glass etches beautifully.

Old 2012-06-17, 4:45pm
Naysayer

Does anybody have pics of the recent batch?
Old 2012-06-17, 6:09pm

Since this has come up again, does anyone have a photo of the "fake" they would share? Thanks!
Old 2012-06-17, 7:16pm
Sheila Davis Designs

This is a pair of cones made with the new batch.
The sun bead is the batch before that.
It doesn't look that much different in the pictures..but it is..honest
Attached Images

Old 2012-06-17, 10:50pm
Naysayer

Oh what a shame :/
Thanks for the pics though, I love that sun bead!
Old 2012-06-18, 3:10am
what's a senior moment ?

Sheila, you got better results than I did with the batch I got a few months back. This is what mine is in rod form and made into a few beads etched and not etched. sigh. It looks kinda red in the photo's for some reason but believe me, it's not red at all and there is but a hint of green in one of the etched beads. That was it. For the price of that glass, I was extremely disappointed to say the very least.

Old 2012-06-18, 7:18am

But the beads are very pretty, Debbie! I love your results!
Sheila, I love that sun bead! So is the sun bead all red copper green? I never got any "green" in my beads, all "red". And it was purchased when it first came out, so I'm sure it's the "gold" stuff, lol. So the rest of my rods are just sitting there...

Last edited by truegem; 2012-06-18 at 7:20am.
Old 2012-06-18, 1:26pm
Naysayer

Oh wow Debbie, so the pic of the rods you're saying are not really red?

They still look good, but considering what RCG used to look like is sad.
Old 2012-06-18, 1:43pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
But the beads are very pretty, Debbie! I love your results!
Sheila, I love that sun bead! So is the sun bead all red copper green? I never got any "green" in my beads, all "red". And it was purchased when it first came out, so I'm sure it's the "gold" stuff, lol. So the rest of my rods are just sitting there...
Thanks for the compliments on my sun bead. It's the one that will be at the Gathering Venture exhibit. I did lay some silver foil over the middle of it. It turns a beautiful green, I like the combination.

Old 2012-06-19, 12:06am
Cave Dweller

That is a beautiful metallic strike.

Metallics come out in reduction, so if you want less of
the Heavy Metal look turn up the O2 and/or work it
farther out in the flame and you might be pleasantly
surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post

Last edited by Role; 2012-06-19 at 12:08am.
Old 2012-06-20, 8:05am

Wow...

I tried to work with red copper green again last night. My rods are a green/rust mix, with no rings. The beads are orange. Ugly orange. I had tried to reduce them. Is this the new c**p you're talking about?

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-06-20, 9:52am
Sheila Davis Designs

I took a quick picture of the two rods. The one on the left is the older batch and the one on the right is the newest batch. You can see...quite a difference.
Attached Images

Old 2012-06-20, 5:25pm
Naysayer

I asked too because someone posted a pic before in the toilet of RCG and I would've sworn they used something like 'dark matter'..couldn't remember who it was to even ask.

They should put it on a deep discount so we can use this up and they can try for better. *dreaming*
Old 2012-06-20, 8:01pm

Mine is a rusty orange throughout, with just a little green on the edges. Melted, it's rusty orange. I am SO glad I only bought one rod!

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-06-20, 8:41pm

Looking at colours on the vendor's website, it looks like the colour of Hawaiian clay. And it doesn't reduce. Anyone have a picture of a hawaiian clay rod they can post? If so, I didn't get what I asked for at all!

Facebook:

Old 2012-06-21, 8:11pm
Life is change. Love it

Here is a thread on some of these colours http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=173706

Old 2012-06-21, 9:07pm

Red copper green is on the first page. No others from this thread.

Facebook: