Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-02-24, 5:23pm
DSDWC

I want to take a moment to be more specific about my opinion of the Scorpion.
I had hoped that this torch would make a great companion during my teaching travels. As a traveling instructor I have needs from a torch that many of you will never even think about. The studios I teach at tend to run very high PSI settings on there O2. It is not uncommon to see pressure from 25-35 PSI. They do this because it takes the higher PSI to push through the volume O2 needed to feed the large number of different of torches being used by the students. It is not uncommon for me to see Phantoms, Mirages, Barracudas, Minors, Mini CCs and others all running at the same time. Without this higher pressure some of the torches, especially the larger ones, would not get enough O2 flow to keep their user happy. Torch flames also tend to fluctuated when one is turned off or on at lower PSI settings in the teaching studio scenario. There is nothing worse then having your flame change chemistry multiple time through the day as people stop and start working.
GTT recommends a setting of 8-10 PSI on the O2 for the Scorpion . I was very happy with the torch at these pressures. When I tested the Scorpion at higher pressures I noticed a change in the torch. The change began at 15PSI and as I got up to 25psi and beyond it grew. The torch started to really push the flame. Some distortion became obvious at large flame settings and I was no longer able to get the same control on the soft pin point flame I wanted on the center fire and with a press of the pedal get the large soft bushy flame for the outer fire that I wanted for my soft glass work . I kept having to re-adjust my flames which defeated the purpose of the foot pedal. At a recommended setting of 8 PSI on the O2 I had no problems at all with maintaining a beautiful flame setting for both the inner and outer fire with no adjustments.
I really feel this is a great torch. I have preached its virtues at every class I have taught since "The Gathering". I am sure some of you have ordered this torch after hearing my praise. I stand behind this praise fully. I think it will open doors for you and expand skills that would have never been an option before.
I thought it important to address my issues with the torch more specifically because I want to be completely honest with everyone with whom I have spoken so highly to about the virtues of this new torch from GTT.
I have found my Scorpion a great new home in California where I am sure its new owner will find new creativity pouring out from her as this torch takes her to a next level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Trey Cornette; 2010-02-24 at 6:26pm.
Old 2010-02-24, 7:38pm

Great explanation, Trey. When you teach in class the pressures have to be higher, and unfortunately when the instructor is using his or her torch, most of the time no one else is torching, so you get the full pressure.

But just have to say, Trey, your loss! You just lost a truly magical torch.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-02-24, 8:48pm
DSDWC

I know Pam.
I really wanted to keep it but I really have my eye on a Mirage and the funds from the Scorpion can go towards that.
I can't cry to much though. I do have a Phantom and a Barracuda in the house!

Old 2010-02-25, 12:19am

I can say with some certainty that Trey's Scorpion is certainly going to be well loved and well used in it's new home...just counting the hours until it gets here

Reading through the wealth of information in this post over the past weeks and months was what clinched it for me ( with a little help from an unexpected bonus check at work). I so appreciate all the knowledge and opinions found on this site, especially as a newer lampworker.
Old 2010-02-25, 5:35am

I can, with some certainty, say that this is the perfect torch for someone wanting to run it off a concentrator/generator, and even with tanked oxy available, it is a truly great torch. I love it because it gives me a larger flame than the Cheetah, but also gives me a smaller inside flame to work with, something I didn't have the option for on the Cheetah. It also works to its best on my OG20, while the Cheetah only worked to about 75% of its capability. I will always love my Cheetah, but once I changed to an alternative oxy source, I never got the full benefit of its power. Now I have that with the Scorpion.

Just want to say a big thank you to GTT for once again giving us a really stupendous torch that works perfectly. Without the Willy/Wally development team, where would lampworking be today? As much as I hated waiting since July for this torch, I believe it is totally worth the wait.

So, now that the Trey drama is over, have others been playing? We need more info, and pictures!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-02-25, 9:52am

That is good to hear Pam. I really liked my Cheetah, but I had a Lynx hooked up right next to it that I would swap back and forth because a lot of times I liked the smaller size flame and Oxy consumption of the Lynx but wanted the big Cheetah flame to work gathers and other large pieces. Trying to work around two torches at once is a pain though.

I kind of wish they had the Scorpion a year ago. I would have gone with it probably instead of getting the Mirage. I could have gotten three Scorpions for the price I paid for the Mirage and foot peddle. Now that I have the Mirage, I don't think I could give it up.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2010-02-25, 10:33am
Dangerous Woman

Is it possible to get quick connects on the hoses? I know it would cost more but I like to take my own torch to classes and usually they will only accept torches with a quick connect.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-02-25, 11:20am

Hi Nancy, just a suggestion, but what I do is put about 2 feet of hose from my torch (gas and oxy) and quick connect it to the rest of my hose. It gives me a few benefits; it acts as a flashback arrestor, I can transport the torch easier with short hoses, and I can switch torches easily at home.

My Blog
Old 2010-02-25, 11:33am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
So, now that the Trey drama is over, have others been playing? We need more info, and pictures!
There was no "Trey drama." I'm sorry if you read my post that way. Trey posted a very nice review and I had some questions. I thought it was just a discussion. I tend to use quotes and break posts down into parts to be clear about what I am asking. I like that Trey included what he felt were drawbacks to the torch, as it is an honest appraisal. I simply had some more questions, that's all.

And, Trey, since you travel so much teaching, and are thinking about upgrading to another GTT, ask them about specializing it for you. Have you seen Loren Stump's travel Delta? The body is smaller than a regular delta and has a special base with adaptors - with the overall weight being just over a pound. It folds up and comes with it's own travel case.
Old 2010-02-25, 12:31pm

Actually, Kimberly-girl, I wasn't even thinking of you when I wrote that, more of the "can't wait to get it" "not going to work for me" "selling it on ebay" "not selling it on ebay" "sold" drama.

I do appreciate all the info in the post you wrote, as usual, but was hoping to hear more from those who have received their torches and how it is working for them. Hey, I have to live vicariously since I seem to only get to torch about once a week!

My Blog
Old 2010-02-25, 1:40pm
Mad about Glass

Pam you are using an oxycon but are you using natural gas?
Thanks

[url]

Old 2010-02-25, 1:58pm

No, I'm not. Are you?

My Blog
Old 2010-02-25, 2:00pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Actually, Kimberly-girl, I wasn't even thinking of you when I wrote that, more of the "can't wait to get it" "not going to work for me" "selling it on ebay" "not selling it on ebay" "sold" drama.

I do appreciate all the info in the post you wrote, as usual, but was hoping to hear more from those who have received their torches and how it is working for them. Hey, I have to live vicariously since I seem to only get to torch about once a week!
Oh, good, Pam.

Not good that you're only getting to the torch once a week (that's ), but good that you weren't taking my post as drama. I, too, am hoping to hear from other people who are working with the Scorpion and how it's doing on their set-ups.
Old 2010-02-25, 3:06pm
Booger #7

Hey Kimberly maybe you can give me an idea of how long the wait is between calling in your billing info and the torches actually shipping? I was contacted about 3 weeks or so ago and called in my cc number and haven't heard a word since and I've sent a couple of emails just checking on the status and they haven't been answered either

Old 2010-02-25, 5:38pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue H-K View Post
Hey Kimberly maybe you can give me an idea of how long the wait is between calling in your billing info and the torches actually shipping? I was contacted about 3 weeks or so ago and called in my cc number and haven't heard a word since and I've sent a couple of emails just checking on the status and they haven't been answered either
I'll ask Willy to check on this for you. Did they run the card, yet, or just take the number? Sometimes they'll take the number when it looks like your torch is getting close to being ready, but not actually charge it until it ships. Three weeks is a long time, though, and they should have answered your emails.
Old 2010-02-25, 5:51pm
Booger #7

The card hasn't been run and maybe I'm just getting antsy, but thanks for checking for me Kimberly! You rock!

Old 2010-02-25, 6:03pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Hi Nancy, just a suggestion, but what I do is put about 2 feet of hose from my torch (gas and oxy) and quick connect it to the rest of my hose. It gives me a few benefits; it acts as a flashback arrestor, I can transport the torch easier with short hoses, and I can switch torches easily at home.
Yeah I think that is what I want to do. Just not quite sure how - but that is a another thread.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-02-25, 6:13pm
ID10T Problem Solver

I was trying to go to GTT website to place my order, but the website is down...anyone have the phone number or email address so I can get ahold of them tomorrow?

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2010-02-25, 6:14pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Here ya go, Jana.

570-835-9777 (PHONE)

Old 2010-02-25, 6:18pm
ID10T Problem Solver

Thank you so much Lisa!

I have been wanting one but didn't want to take the money out of the household since I don't sell things. My company gave me 1000.00 today if I agreed to work this weekend and I jumped on it!

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2010-02-25, 6:21pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Whoo hoo. Jump on it, no doubt!!!! Congrats on getting your new torch!!

Old 2010-02-25, 6:28pm
Mad about Glass

Yes, I am using natural gas & an oxycon with a mid-range and would like to know how the Scorpion compares if used with ng.

[url]

Old 2010-02-25, 6:31pm
ID10T Problem Solver

Website is back up now!

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2010-02-25, 7:23pm

Actually, Jenn, the Scorpion should do really well since it's designed to run on lower pressures (the sheet that came with it says as little is 1/2 psi), but I am sure someone will be able to give you exact info on it.

My Blog
Old 2010-02-25, 8:13pm
Flamewoman

Anyone out there running their Scorp with a Regalia?
They took my credit card # last week so I am hoping to get
it soon.
Kimberly - I ordered the 4 stud with a Y connector. Will that have the barbed end on it to hook up like my Lynx does? I hope so, sure makes it easy. ( it would have to, right?)

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-02-25, 8:20pm
PyronamixK

It will look just like the picture I posted earlier (except for color, unless you ordered that color). The posts are pretty much the same as the barbs on the end of the Lynx stud lines.
Old 2010-02-25, 8:32pm
Playing with Fire!

Trey, you can also use a micro valve (like the ones we have on the hexagonal carlisle bench). Ours are about 15 full turns to be wide open... if you just crack it to a 1/4 turn it will drop the volume and pressure to about 5 or 6 psi when the torch is open and oxy is flowing. Micro valves are not regulators, but they do work for what you need.

How is the foot pedal working?

-Ed-

Playing with Fire!
Old 2010-02-25, 9:34pm

I was so thriled. Yesterday, the UPS man arrived. Finally, my Scorpion emerged from the shivering tundra of Pennsylvania.

I spent hours, when I ordered, debating colours - finally settling on red pearl with silver studs!

I opened the box... and was confronted with a refuge from the 90s.
It was mauve.
I was never so disappointed.

Yes, the torch is lovely, gorgeous flame. But MAUVE?!? Mauve and red are nothing alike.

Did anyone else order Red Pearl? Did it yours look anything like red? Did I just get a BAD paint batch?
Old 2010-02-25, 9:48pm
Flamewoman

There is a disclaimer in small print "Please Note: All colors shown are for illustration purposes only. Actual colors may vary due to lighting, powdercoat batching, surface coloring or finish prior to powdercoat, and type of material that powdercoat is applied to. Every effort is made to maintain consistency with powdercoating, we are not responsible for minor inconsistencies in product color, as coloring is only cosmetic and does not affect the performance of the torch. Coloring may fade, crack, or wear due to normal usage and/or age."
Translated I think that means " we are torch makers, not paint specialists"
I couldn't even remember what color my Lynx was when I read about the special colors. I had to go out and look. I really don't look at the torch body, only the flame and the knobs to adjust the flame. I ordered the stock color and even more glad I did now. But Hey, some people just love Mauve! And maybe it will fade, crack or wear with age and won't be mauve anymore.
I bet it won't be long before you don't even see it.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-02-26, 11:21am
PyronamixK

Default Scorpion Flame Control at High PSI

O.K., I am not picking on Trey or his opinion (definitely not, I respect Trey), but I was concerned when he said that the Scorpion did not perform well at the high pressures used by teaching studios and that he was abandoning it (a torch made with the same valves used in larger torches routinely run at ridiculously high pressures like 150 psi) and going back to his Barracuda (a torch whose valves are not rated for pressures higher than 20-25 psi). He said that he was not upset about this, because he was using the torch for something beyond it's intended purpose - using the torch with a classroom-type high pressure set-up. I'm sorry to disagree, but I feel that using the Scorpion to teach (whether with a low pressure or high pressure set-up) is not beyond the scope of this torch.

I am not suggesting that Trey did not see a difference in valve responsiveness between using low pressures and high pressures. When torches are run on lower pressures, the valves are less responsive - it takes larger turns on the valve knob to make adjustments (and when you run a torch without precision valves, this is necessary for making fine adjustments to the flame). When torches are run on high pressures, the valves become more responsive - smaller turns of the knobs make more adjustments to the flame. I understand that people have preferences in how responsive their valves are and I completely respect that. But, when you are using high precision valves like the ones GTT makes, the flame quality should not be lost when going from low pressures to high pressures. For example, a large flame should not distort sooner on high pressures than on low pressures. You should still be able to get soft, fluffy flames with a GTT even when your regulator psi settings are high. You should still be able to get tiny detail flames.

The Scorpion was designed to have a large range of flames even when run at very low flows and very low pressures, not only when run at very low flows and very low pressures.

So, with all that in mind, and to show you what I'm talking about (that you can maintain control over the flame using high psi and that the flames are just like the ones used at lower psi, only larger when needed), Willy and I hooked up a Scorpion (the pre-production model we have here) to tanks using 40 psi oxygen and 30 psi propane and recorded what we did and what we saw.

regular version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDxPf0JP2TU

mobile friendly version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOEF3Dd5krw

You will notice that even while running at 40/30, we can get flames that are so soft and bushy, they are pushed around by the pull of our ventilation. Getting small flames is no problem - whether tight pinpoint flames or small soft flames. This is possible because the Scorpion uses high precision valves.

As far as changes to the foot pedal settings... If you set your outerfire while your pressures are low and then kick off your foot pedal and reset your pressures higher, when you kick your foot pedal back on, it will be a larger flame. This is normal. Most people use foot pedals for production work - so that they save time and gas when using the same flames over and over. They don't usually change the pressures while the pedal is off. Many production workers in large production studios where there are several torches being run at once use in-line regulators at their torch to prevent the fluctuations caused by their workmates turning their torches on and off. Also, keep in mind that the length of your lines between your foot pedal to your torch will affect how your outerfire behaves.