Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Which should I get, press or roller?
Press 9 3.20%
Roller 158 56.23%
Eyeball it, baby. 114 40.57%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-16, 9:23pm
Entropy increasing....

Default Making round beads - press or roller?

I have to make a choice. One or the other.
Old 2011-02-16, 9:24pm

I love my round roller!
Old 2011-02-16, 9:25pm
Jacqueline Parkes

roller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-16, 9:33pm
Life is change. Love it

I use my press as a roller, so I vote roller

Old 2011-02-16, 9:55pm

roller
Old 2011-02-16, 10:14pm
Entropy increasing....

I want to make like 18 -22 mm.
Old 2011-02-16, 10:41pm
Storm Queen

I have a roller and I don't use it. I prefer to do it old school. I use a Zoozii press and hold the bead over it to eye ball the size better.

Old 2011-02-16, 11:04pm
Salt Box Beads

Once I saw "the secret" to making truly round beads I find it easier to do without any tools.
Old 2011-02-16, 11:17pm
beads....mmmm

I have a roller, but I just can't get the hang of it. It's easier for me to get beads round by eye. Of course, they don't all some out exactly the same, but that's my error. Ha!

I seem to prefer brass tools rather than the graphite ones. Again, no fault of the tool.

::
Old 2011-02-16, 11:18pm
offically down under

I used to say eyeball it but I need to make beads exactly a certain size and that is only achievable with a press or roller. I much prefer a roller -especially when you have a pattern on it.

I got this one from Malcolm a while back (when it was $27). http://www.artcoinc.com/marble_molds.php While I love the CG bead rollers, this one covers more sizes from small to large. I also needed a handle and so I attached one -easy peasy.

Old 2011-02-16, 11:22pm
Entropy increasing....

I mean round beads, not bagel shaped beads.
Old 2011-02-16, 11:28pm
offically down under

Yep, Round beads. The graphite rollers are so simple to use. If you have too much glass, move to the larger hole. Too little, add more.

I also have found them to be a godsend when I'm encasing. Often times the encasing goes bagel shaped and with the bead roller, you can easily get them back to round.
Attached Images

Old 2011-02-17, 7:06am
Miles from nowhere...

Definitely a roller.

Kate

Old 2011-02-17, 7:18am
Queen Tut ;)

I eyeball it simply because I don't have a roller. If I had to choose, I would buy a roller rather than a press. In 'Passing the Flame' it's suggested to just make a bunch of beads and you'll eventually get enough of the size you want. That's kinda what I do, but I'm not trying for specific sizes.

Old 2011-02-17, 7:19am

Default Everyone Loves a Secret!

Okay, I have to ask . . . what is "the secret"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Once I saw "the secret" to making truly round beads I find it easier to do without any tools.
Old 2011-02-17, 9:27am
Burnt Wood Beads

Ditto...what is the secret??? I can't get a bunch of round beads to be even for the life of me....so this is intriguing!

Old 2011-02-17, 10:07am
aka Spawn Of Flame

I just recently started to use a roller instead of gravity for really round beads. It definitely speeds up the process for me.

--
--
--

Old 2011-02-17, 10:15am
Butterfly Rancher

I like presses for flattened or geometric shapes but for rounded shapes, I prefer the bead rollers. I like how the roller, because it has an outside measurement, shows up the tiniest of places where the bead isn't completely true to form. In the tutorials at CGBeads, Donna talks about noticing the areas that stay light and bright. It took me a while to see it, but it made a world of difference in getting beads that are very uniformly shaped. I also think the roller makes it easier to turn out a number of same sized beads very quickly.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2011-02-17, 10:22am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbles View Post
Okay, I have to ask . . . what is "the secret"?
Sorry guys, I just now got back to this thread. I have the secret in one of my bead books. It's Beads of glass by Cindy Jenkins, the artist is Larry Scott and the instructions are on page 68.

Kevan, I hear ya, I know what you are saying when you want perfectly round. The bead will be perfectly round, no dimples at the bead holes. It looks like a marble with holes. It is not toroidal shaped at all.

It is so much easier to see the pictures of Scott making the bead. You can practice with two different colors until you get the hang of it.

I will try to explain. If you make a small thin tube 1 inch long on your mandrel you would then wind transparent glass on the left side as if you were going to make a hollow. Then wind some opaque glass on the other side same way as if you are going to make a hollow. Make these winds thin, straight and pretty tall.

The secret is to make the winds in from the egdes. You do not want to wind right at the very edges of your base bead, leave a little poking out on each end, maybe 1/32 of an inch or so.

Then you add heat ( gently) directly between the wheels, slowly rotating, flashing the whole bead every so often to keep it warm, and as you concentrate the heat between the wheels it will "of course " flow together and when you are done it will be perfectly round. I KID YOU NOT! If I can do it anyone can do it.

The bead length is determined by the base bead length and the size is determined by how much you wind on at each end.

Using the two colors at first really lets you see how the bead shapes itself and you will be a pro at it in no time. It is very easy peasy.

Thank-you Larry, and if it is okay with Kevan? I would like to hear back how this works for you and anyone else and pictures too...maybe?

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-08-25 at 11:37am.
Old 2011-02-17, 10:31am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Yep, Round beads. The graphite rollers are so simple to use. If you have too much glass, move to the larger hole. Too little, add more.

I also have found them to be a godsend when I'm encasing. Often times the encasing goes bagel shaped and with the bead roller, you can easily get them back to round.
The beads pictured are toroidal shaped, not perfectly round. I think Kevan wants a marble with a hole through it. A lot of people think a very round toroidal is round, but it isn't. They would be rolling around all over the place and not sitting up nicely for a photo shoot if they were truly round.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-02-17 at 10:34am.
Old 2011-02-17, 1:21pm
offically down under

Quote:

The beads pictured are toroidal shaped, not perfectly round. I think Kevan wants a marble with a hole through it. A lot of people think a very round toroidal is round, but it isn't. They would be rolling around all over the place and not sitting up nicely for a photo shoot if they were truly round.
I just wanted to show how encasing can put a round bead out of shape and with the bead roller, you can put them back to round with a dimpled end. I make jewellery and I do not want a sharp end to cut the silver head pin or beading wire.

Old 2011-02-17, 1:26pm
I'm a lilac!

I use a marble mold as a roller... so I'd say a roller.

Old 2011-02-17, 2:08pm

Default Roller everytime Babie!

As a newbie, I like the roller. The presses still confound me somewhat. The CGBead Roller is excellent.
Old 2011-02-17, 2:59pm

I have the Zooziis brass marver for round (and had the disk press) and I don't like the way the brass works as a roller. I also have a number of graphite rollers and, for beads that are symmetric around the mandrel, they are far-and-away the better tool IMO. That being said, I find that they work the best when you only use them for the final shaping. I don't find they work as a way to center the bead on the mandrel as you're building the bead, so in the end gravity and an eye for detail are still the most important tools.

Old 2011-02-17, 4:15pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Roller! For marbles with a hole through them. I love love love making round beads with a roller, it's my favorite shape.

Old 2011-02-17, 4:23pm
Salt Box Beads

Those are fantastic!
Old 2011-02-17, 5:20pm
one day at a time

I've never used a tool to marver and make them round because I don't like the pits it makes in the surface with many of the frits I use. Especially with graphite. When the pits are there, you can't make them disappear with more heat and sometimes they get worse.

So, because of that I only "eyeball" them. I did a tutorial a long time ago and while this is geared toward the newbies, it's good for anyone wanting to learn to make them with the best tools for the job - heat and gravity.

Here's the tutorial:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=round+beads

Some spherical round beads I made so long ago and I forgot when:

I hope you find that helpful!
Old 2011-02-17, 6:49pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Those are fantastic!
Thanks Lorraine, I've used that picture way too much, they were my favorites I've ever made. I do lots and lots of rounds, that's become almost the only thing I do anymore.

Old 2011-02-17, 6:52pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I've never used a tool to marver and make them round because I don't like the pits it makes in the surface with many of the frits I use. Especially with graphite. When the pits are there, you can't make them disappear with more heat and sometimes they get worse.

So, because of that I only "eyeball" them. I did a tutorial a long time ago and while this is geared toward the newbies, it's good for anyone wanting to learn to make them with the best tools for the job - heat and gravity.

Here's the tutorial:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=round+beads

Some spherical round beads I made so long ago and I forgot when:

I hope you find that helpful!

Lisi, your beads are gorgeous! I'm just not that talented with heat and gravity though I have tried over the last three years. I need shaping tools.

Old 2011-02-17, 7:48pm
It's about having fun!

I finially figured out how to make a round bead by hand... yay! If a newbie wants to know, I'd be happy to tell ya!