Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2011-04-04, 6:03pm

Default Clarity and Aether compatibilities

Oh wait...I don't mean are they compatible with eachother! I recently made a few small marbles and two have had small surface cracks....one of them chipped off along the crack. They have been annealed properly as well.
One of the marbles that had a crack was the clear against effetre dark red, the other, that cracked and chipped was effetre dark lapis cobalt.

Thanks in advance.

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-04, 8:54pm

Duane,
It doesn't matter what clear I use but it always cracks over dark red. Hoping it's not just me but that's been my experience
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-05, 10:43am

Duane,
I spoke to a bead maker this weekend who said she would never encase red... I hardly ever use red, so that is not my problem. My problem recently is using aether over Kiwi. My beads have been larger that usual, but I feel my annealing, and hold schedule is ok. Has anyone had trouble with aether over Kiwi?The crack goes hole to hole, but I have been told that is "not always an annealing problem" There are other Effetre colors between the Kiwi and Aether, which vary from bead to bead...the constants being Kiwi and Aether.
Any ideas?
Mimi
Old 2011-04-05, 11:15am
state-eternal change

My first batch of Kiwi I could encase with anything.. the stuff I got around 8-10 months ago, cracks right up the mandrel. I was using dichro too, but even without it, it was cracking.

Old 2011-04-05, 11:17am
da General

Try doing the "sandwich" technique the boro peeps do - start with a core of clear (Effetre is fine), encase with the finicky color, then encase in Aether - hope that will help!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-05, 2:46pm

thanks for the tips, but I'm not encasing... I'm using the clear for marbles

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-04-05, 2:54pm
Lampworkaholic!

Aether seems to play nicely with CiM Sangre for me. I've had really good luck with Clarity and silver glass. Could your cracks be thermal? A picture might help, since you say you aren't encasing.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-05, 3:07pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Aether seems to play nicely with CiM Sangre for me. I've had really good luck with Clarity and silver glass. Could your cracks be thermal? A picture might help, since you say you aren't encasing.
I made the same experience: CIM Sangre with either Aether or Effetre Super Clear works without any problems (didn't try it with other clears).

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-04-05, 4:13pm
da General

Duane - sorry about not seeing that you are making marble. Sometimes hot colors are more finicky encased (in marble, surrounded by lots of clear!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) . . . When I took Loren Stump's butterfly murrini class, he cautions us on using hot colors (reds, oranges, yellows) for our murrini for it varies from batch to batch and the cracks don't show up until everything is clear encased four days later! Two of the butterfly murrinis made in our class did crack - one with yellow and the other with red!

Also there were a couple of posts a while back that someone did have trouble with using Aether in marble. Let me see if I can find it for you.

ETA:

Perhaps you can email Jed at Double Helix and ask if he has any recommendations?

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2011-04-05 at 4:17pm.
Old 2011-04-06, 12:16pm
Color Outside The Lines!

Default Compatibility of Certain Colors

This chart shows strain data collected during tests during which a single manufacturer's colors were tested against their own clear. The purpose of these tests was for us to determine the general range of expansions within each manufacturer's line of glass. No company names or product numbers are listed, but the glasses are displayed from left to right in numerical order based on their stock number. (xxx004 - xxx999). Falling about in the the middle of the chart are the "specials", cadmium colors with stock numbers in the "xxx400"'s. You will note very high strain levels between these colors and the clears made by the same factory. When we examine the raw data, we found that certain colors in that color group had strain levels far outside of "safe" parameters. In fact, some of the samples are absent from the chart, as the fused samples shattered upon cooling, which gave us a (false) net strain reading of "0", as the strain was relieved by the breakage. This data would tend to support the anecdotal reports regarding certain colors' suitability to deep encasement.

Jed at Double Helix

(technical note : Negative psi numbers indicate that the color tested "softer", or higher expansion, than the control clear. Generally 1000 psi total strain is considered the maximum "safe" level before breakage from internal strain. The tests we performed are indicative only of the particular lot or batch of glass that we tested at that time.)