LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-21, 10:33am

Angela, I sure admire your persistance! I'm going to give it a try again next week, working them more like I did my first time. Those beads are pretty, but I understand your frustration!

Shane-LOVE the shades you got!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-21, 10:35am

Default Original Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannadobeads View Post
I haven't had the best luck with pandora, either.
I am a diehard fan of the original Terra. Jed told me that since I liked Terra so much, I would love Pandora. I wish I did. *sigh*
Isn't there some way to sign a petition to get Terra back? LOL
I'll sign, I loved that stuff too, and so did my customers. It got me into Brad Pearson's book last year! I put it on my business card! I want it back!
Jill

ETSY
Old 2008-09-21, 1:37pm
Storm Queen

I have a theory...can you guys tell me if this fits with your experience?

I think Pandora doesn't like to be worked really long to the point of turning opaque. If you work it for a few minutes and pop it in the kiln whether you incase it or not...it's happy. If you work it longer to the point of it going from translucent to opaque it gets stubborn.

Old 2008-09-21, 1:40pm

jepp, set me on that list too.... I still have a few rods Terra, but - I use it so sparingly! Must have scotsmen in my relationship....

Is it true that they can't reproduce it, because they lost the recipe? THAT would be weird...

Bye - and greetings to Kara - we never give up!
Angela

Old 2008-09-21, 1:50pm

Amy, that could be interesting....

In case of working long, but cool (well, as cool as it is besides the flame) I guess its true.

But - #1 on my sample pic is also worked rather long; but quite hot. And it striked very well for the first time.

btw - #2 is now in the kiln for 12 (!!!) hours, and - its still green. And the Flowerwheel is still - muddy.

IF the glass ever starts to strike, annealing is great for developing the color; but if not - forget it. Thats my resumee for these two beads - not more. Maybe I should wait for other phases of the moon. *gggg*

Greetings
Angela

Old 2008-09-21, 2:09pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I have a theory...can you guys tell me if this fits with your experience?

I think Pandora doesn't like to be worked really long to the point of turning opaque. If you work it for a few minutes and pop it in the kiln whether you incase it or not...it's happy. If you work it longer to the point of it going from translucent to opaque it gets stubborn.
I would tend to agree with you on this. My first Pandora bead was just a wrap of Pandora over the center of a tube with clear spiraled on. It was worked fast. I did get purple, blue and peach under the clear.

I also made a Pandora hollow vessel that I blew very thin. Because it was so thin it also became very hot. It ended up with overstruck terracotta streaks alternating with translucent green streaks. Not quite the look I was going for!

Last edited by MaryBeth; 2008-09-21 at 3:09pm.
Old 2008-09-21, 2:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The Flowerwheel looks like it may be developing some of that terracotta color. That is weird that bead #3 developed beautiful color, but #2 only has a couple of spots of color.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-09-21, 3:02pm
Yeller Rose

It hates me and as do all it's relatives. I don't know why I keep sending money down the same hole!!!! I am going to quite buying silver glass. Barb
Old 2008-09-21, 3:19pm

Thanks for all the compliments. Something else to consider....reduction. Look what happens when you do heavily reduce Panodra...

I work my beads for about 20-30 minutes. But did get them to glowing a few times during the process. I basically work it like any other glass. I ignore the silver glass facture since I was under the impression that it kiln strikes. I could be wrong. Anyone else have recent pics and info?
Old 2008-09-21, 3:38pm
Storm Queen

Maybe my question should be....was your Pandora translucent or opaque when it went into the kiln? My water lily beads were opaque and didn't strike in the kiln. I've made some other test beads that went in translucent that did strike.

Old 2008-09-21, 3:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I've had them both opaque and transparent going into the kiln and they both struck. I will have to do some experimentation with it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-21, 5:46pm

On the topic of whether working the glass a long time is a factor, remember Kevan's jaw-droppingly gorgeous goddess. I think I have read that she spends quite a bit of time on those. And she got a huge array of color...

Debra
Old 2008-09-21, 5:55pm

Mine have all been opaque.
Old 2008-09-21, 5:59pm
Storm Queen

There has to be a common factor. One person can't make two identical beads one after the other, put them right by each other in the kiln and only have one of them strike. SOMETHING is different and that difference is the key to figuring out this glass. I'm just not sure how much I care any more.

Old 2008-09-21, 6:22pm

Amy, on the same mandrel too!

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-09-21, 6:33pm
Kerry with a Y not I

Amy, my hollows went in translucent. So, I am thinking, in my case, that it was the opposite of what you were saying.
eta: I was making hollows so they were worked for several minutes each. And areas were very translucent. Others were hazy, but not completely opaque.

Lara, if they were both on the same mandrel, it means one cooled a bit... or was in the flame a little longer. Make one on one mandrel and then another on another mandrel. Do they turn out different then?

Written by ME! ~ Available March 2010 from Interweave Press

&
&
Old 2008-09-21, 7:04pm

Sometimes. I like the unpredictability of it.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-09-21, 7:04pm
Storm Queen

But Kerry....your hollows struck really pretty, didn't they? That would fit. Translucent=strikes in kiln. My water lilies were opaque and they didn't strike.

Old 2008-09-21, 7:05pm

Well, I haven't had a chance to try this one yet but can I suggest a name change to "Paindora"?

Cricket, Oxy Con, Natural Gas
Old 2008-09-21, 7:05pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Sometimes. I like the unpredictability of it.
I don't.

Old 2008-09-21, 7:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willabeast View Post
Well, I haven't had a chance to try this one yet but can I suggest a name change to "Paindora"?
LOL

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-21, 7:24pm

I had better luck with striking on the beads that went in transparent like the rod color, when the kiln was around 950. I'm going to try again this week sometime...

Angel, 12 HOURS?! You're determined, aren't you?! I bow to you and your patience! Have you tried boosting the temp to get it to strike instead of many hours at the same temp? (if that's what you're doing...)

Old 2008-09-21, 8:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I emailed Jed asking him about the Terracotta color and he said that it was overstruck. This was his reply:

Hi Sigrid,
The Terracotta color is an indicator of overstruck glass. Less time or cooler temperature will help that issue. I have posted instructions for learning to strike Pandora earlier in that same thread (post #131 on page 5). The Terracotta is the opaque red I refer to in the instructions post. The interior of an overstruck bead will be bright red, while the exterior is muddied by the conflict between the silver and the copper strike. I would be happy to help troubleshoot the striking issues that you are having.
Jed at Double Helix

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-21, 8:34pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
I would tend to agree with you on this. My first Pandora bead was just a wrap of Pandora over the center of a tube with clear spiraled on. It was worked fast. I did get purple, blue and peach under the clear.

I also made a Pandora hollow vessel that I blew very thin. Because it was so thin it also became very hot. It ended up with overstruck terracotta streaks alternating with translucent green streaks. Not quite the look I was going for!
It takes me 1/2 hour to make a goddess bead. I'm heating and reheating it all the time.
Old 2008-09-21, 8:38pm

Well my last batch went in the kiln looking like the rod rather transparent and came out almost black. This was at 750. The next day I put them back at 1000 and they were still rather black. I was ready to pitch them and I saw some blue color coming up on a couple and put them back in at 1000 for about 4 more hours and I don't see any difference. I'm about done with this glass, it's too finicky. These beads were small, a bit larger than a spacer, some over clear and some just the Pandora. Made no difference.
Old 2008-09-21, 8:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

750 or 950?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-21, 9:16pm

I'm feeling similar to Pat and Amy - I don't like the unpredictability of this glass.
And this is the first silver glass that I was so enthusiastic about that I actually ordered 1/2 lbs. straight away (after having ordered one test rod first). And now I'm very frustrated with it and ready to give up for now.
I think I will shelf my 1/2 lbs. until I feel a bit better about it - or until someone found the magical trick about getting halfway predictable and consistent results.

Old 2008-09-21, 11:11pm

I know this is a pandora thread, but since I was told it was the even *better*, my disappointment is even greater.
I have shelved pandora for now.

I would pay over $100/pound to have Terra back.
Anyone else?

Lisa Bender

Old 2008-09-22, 12:19am

made this in one session

made exactly the same next day, it stayd green

Amy, i have no doubt its something done in the flame, finding out what is the uestion, i dont think its about time, maybe the cooling heating, very fast heating, something like that

from my experience thats what it is

and if they dont strike anything at first you can forget about it, i have some beads that are green, in total they have about 40 hours in the kiln combined and still the same color

the ones on this set strike at first time

im gonna try to introduce the ones of the kiln to the fame again to see if i can develop any color

ALL MY GALAXY MURRINI, ROSE MURRINI AS WELL AS MY NEW TUTORIAL ON MY ETSY SHOP

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-09-22, 4:35am
organically speaking

I'm with you, Iwannadobeads. I love the original Terra and still have a teensy, tiny bit left that I am doling out to myself very slowly.
I absolutely love Double Helix glass when it works for me, but when it doesn't perform as expected, it's very frustrating.
There are some gorgeous Pandora results in here, though! Might have to give it a shot.

Tags
pandora, strike