Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-03-17, 9:16am

Default A little help with oxygen and propane pressure

Hi there
I will finally start to use my minor tomorrow
and I was wondering what pressure shoul I use at propane

My oxycon will be at 4.5lpm, and I would like to know what is the equivalent in PSI, to know at what pressure should I use the propane. Do you recommend using a 2 to 1 rate oxygen propane? how do I know the PSI of the oxycon so I can put the propane at half?
I know lpm and psi is 2 different things, but how am I supposed to know what pressure to use on the propane?

And another question, in what order do you turn off things? Do you turn off oxygen on torch, then propane on torch, turn off the oxycon and then the bottle of propane? And after that, you burn the remaining gas on the tubes? or just let them go to the air? will this way not let remaining gas on the tubes? or is that not a problem?

That is all, hope Im not bothering you with all of this questions, thank you so much in advance for the help. I really apreciate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ALL MY GALAXY MURRINI, ROSE MURRINI AS WELL AS MY NEW TUTORIAL ON MY ETSY SHOP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2009-03-17, 9:49am
boro color bender

3 PSI on the propane is about average for a minor. Your concentrator is probably 7-8 PSI... depending on model. PSI has nothing to do with LPM. LPM is just the volume of oxygen it is producing... the PSI is the pressure at which it delivers the oxygen to your torch and that varies from model to model.

I've found the order you shut things down doesn't make much difference. I have my oxy valves open all the time with concentrators, so the propane is really the only think I turn on and off. People do it all sorts of ways...

You can use the POOP method.

When lighting the torch, it's Propane, light and then add Oxygen.

When shutting down it's Oxygen off first and then Propane.

P.O.O.P

but this is normally for tanked O2...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-03-17, 12:00pm

Thank you so much Brent

I filed up with corage and went light it up, add some trouble adjusting the pressure of the propane, but finally I did it, I cant believe how quiet it is comparing with my HH lol

When turning down the torch, after closing both gases on the torch, and closing the gas at propane bottle and oxycon, should I light up the torch again to burn the gas in the pipes? or shoud I just let the gases go to the air?

With the HH I had to work the glass at certain point on the flame for not get scum
With the minor thats not a problem right? I can work closer or far right?
Im also still not sure if my candle is how it should be, I will try to get a picture of it

Thank you so much for your quick response, I really apreciat it

ALL MY GALAXY MURRINI, ROSE MURRINI AS WELL AS MY NEW TUTORIAL ON MY ETSY SHOP

|
|
|
|