Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-06-02, 3:55am

Default Hollow bead one the end of a mandrel?

Hey everyone
I hope I'm not messing up the forum with my infinite questions, but I really need advice on this one

I got an order of some hollow beads, and perfectly they should have no holes at all (one end will be covered with a metal cap, so even if there's one hole it can be covered by epoxy and no one will know) - but can I make a hollow bead with only one hole? I figure it's not gonna happen. Or is there some kind of special magic for that?
Old 2014-06-02, 6:53am
Lifelong Student

Look on utube
hollowbeadatendofmandrel.MP4 by Corina Tettinger. This link will take you to the page. It's the eighth one down

http://m.youtube.com/user/corinabeads
Old 2014-06-02, 7:02am

Thank you Mina! You are a life savior
Old 2014-06-02, 9:05am
Glass-aholic

I have a free tutorial in my link below as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-06-03, 3:00pm

Jaci, thank you as well! I'll look at your tutorial and try it out

Guys, now I need some help with the bead I made. I made one with Corina's tut - it was about 2cm and it's just perfect. But I need beads about 3-3,5 cm, so I tried and made one bigger. It got COMPLETELY out of control, started spinning on the mandrel and deattached from the separator, enlarging it's hole. Ok, I can live with that - turns out I have to make simple two-holed hollow beads to complete this project.

So, I decided to no throw away that loose bead and make myself a pendant from it - it looked kinda fun, like a pepper. I cleaned it from the bead release, but when I tried to put some brass thingy into the hole to make a pendant, I spun it a little and it BROKE! Just at the edge of two colors! They're both Vetrofond, I'm so scared now - will this happen to my other hollow beads? I use the same colour blend for those hollow two-hole beads and I'm so scared right now.

This is what it looks like:

Old 2014-06-03, 7:17pm

Did you anneal the bead in a kiln? Corina's video said you didn't have to, but her hollow bead had very thin walls. The walls on your bead look pretty thick, so it should have gone right into a kiln. If your bead was properly annealed, then perhaps it's a compatibility issue.

Mimi
Old 2014-06-04, 1:45am

No, Mimi, I didn't anneale it - it was ruined and I just wanted to use it myself. You're probably right - I also took it out of the blanket while it was still warm, so that' probably the issue. Can't wait for my kiln to be here, so I can escape those unpleasantries. Thank you!
Old 2014-06-04, 6:25am

Keep trying, Kisaya! The bead released from the mandrel because you weren't keeping that area hot enough. Good luck.

Mimi
Old 2014-06-06, 8:22am
Glass-aholic

You can use a marble mold or bead mold to help you with shaping. Just make sure to keep a little air pressure while working the mold or your sides may collapse in.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: