Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-08-18, 2:21pm

Default Wine bottle vase?

Anyone tried this? How does the glass in a wine bottle react to being torched? Probably can't be annealed if I wanted to keep the label intact...

I was thinking if you could either flame cut the top off or widen the mouth of the bottle enough they would make a cool vase... anyone have experience with this?

Also thought about a coke bottle into a glass or small cup..

Just a random question I had.
Old 2015-08-18, 3:24pm

There are lots of instructions around to cut glass bottles using a scoring tool, heat, and cold. The only time I tried it I used a scoring tool on a wine bottle and tapped with a metal implement to run the score. I hand polished the edges. My way was not the best way. Never tried it with a torch, though that would provide the needed heat, I guess. Good luck!

Mimi
Old 2015-08-18, 4:10pm

Depending on the wine bottle you may try removing the label and reapply after working.
I usually just cut the glass and sand edges, hot work really should be annealed though.

Localy there are a number of people that paint them using tole or one stroke techniques.
being in wine country makes it fairly easy to find bottles.
You can also wire the up bottle to add Christmas lights, use them for votives, incense, or wind chimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-08-18, 4:23pm
hyperT

Default Coke Bottle

I cut the bottom off with a diamond saw and fire polished the rim on my lathe heating it slowly. Then put it in my lathe and warmed the neck up slowly with a fisher burner, it was heated it enough to pull the neck off and flatten that end with a graphite paddle while turning on the lathe and into the annealing oven it went.
Nice vase but upside down LOL
You could probably do the same with a wine bottle, you need to warm it slowly and anneal it. Sometimes those type of vessels were blasted with cold air and cooled very rapidly this way. This will give you uniform stress all over the glass which actually makes is stronger, as in tempered safety glass.

Have fun, Wayne

Last edited by hyperT; 2015-08-18 at 4:26pm.
Old 2015-08-19, 11:03am

oh man, i was hoping someone would post about this!
what i want to do is take a full sized wine bottle (or maybe even start on the small 4oz bottles) and remove the label, discard label.
put the whole thing in kiln, with the neck/opening facing out.

get a piece of 1" heavy wall tube, and taper to match wine bottle. get the tube ripping hot, and pick up the wine bottle with the tube/handle. blow to whatever shape wanted, grab with claw grabbers and remove the blowtube, making sure all the blowtube glass (boro) is off of the soft glass bottle.

also, considered trying it backwards, have the bottom of the bottle face out, punty up after heating with a piece of 10mm, get the whole thing hot, rip off the neck area and discard, then heat and flare/spin like crazy. might be able to make "wavy" platters like this. the only issue i can think of doing it this way is, once it's platter sized, how to remove the punty w/o burning myself or leaving any glass behind. i SUCK at cold seals lol.

thanks for posting this though, got my brains working
Old 2015-08-19, 1:44pm
HotFlash Designs

I was recently looking into a bottle cutter, and linked to this video via Ed Hoys site.
It's Ephrams Bottle cutter. It looks too simple. But his way around having a wet sander was interesting! Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydwV_dj-UKs

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2015-08-20, 10:50am

so here is a bowl made entirely from recycled wine bottles made by Amber Cowan.

http://opp-m.com/5/0/9/25509/assets/...3crViERYhU.jpg

I made a wine stopper out of pieces from a green wine bottle ( broke up the bottle then placed in the flame) and it was as shocky as it comes while trying to heat up - even using the wave over the flame method.

But once I got the whole thing glowing, I was able to make a stopper without issue and it annealed just like any other glass. I have wanted to "play" with altering the shapes of the bottles but after having the small pieces I was trying to heat up for the stopper explode all over the place - I'm scared LOL

this is a great site for inspiration by the way:

http://www.liveinart.org/2012/11/rec...t-top-ten.html

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-08-20 at 10:54am.
Old 2015-08-20, 11:04am
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaglass View Post
so here is a bowl made entirely from recycled wine bottles made by Amber Cowan.

http://opp-m.com/5/0/9/25509/assets/...3crViERYhU.jpg

I made a wine stopper out of pieces from a green wine bottle ( broke up the bottle then placed in the flame) and it was as shocky as it comes while trying to heat up - even using the wave over the flame method.

But once I got the whole thing glowing, I was able to make a stopper without issue and it annealed just like any other glass. I have wanted to "play" with altering the shapes of the bottles but after having the small pieces I was trying to heat up for the stopper explode all over the place - I'm scared LOL

this is a great site for inspiration by the way:

http://www.liveinart.org/2012/11/rec...t-top-ten.html
The glass you are trying to melt has a COE of 86 to 88 you need to really heat it slowly in an oven not a fire. Once it is hot you should be able to work with it.
Old 2015-08-20, 6:10pm
Borovangelist

It's doable, it's just a pain in the rear because the glass isn't really meant for anything other than a blow mold.

If you want to try though, soak the label off if you want to keep it.

Get two bottles (sober up first...) and one the glass from one of the bottles to wrap around a stainless steel pipe to form a closer-to-compatible collar. Warm it in the kiln like ISA suggested, torch the collar to get it hot and attach to the open end of the bottle.

Gentle into the flame, heat and blow.

Like mentioned, it's shocky going into the flame, so enter very, very, very slowly from the outer reaches.

Here's a beer bottle duck by Barry Laffler in the mean time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkETXRxiu0

|
|