No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-22, 3:35pm
I think I could be a bead

Default How do you make a spiral bead?

The beads I am talking about are the beads that look like a snake. I know that you wrap the glass around the mandrel. How do you wrap the glass so that you don't get all that bead release in the spirals? If anyone could give me some ideas, I'd sure appreciate it.
Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-22, 4:58pm

I saw one on Etsy today that I love.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=13843530

It's so pretty!
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-23, 12:52pm

Thank you! You're right, it is gorgeous!

Old 2008-08-23, 1:26pm

Now who's going to tell us how this is done?
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-23, 5:34pm

Wish I knew that is one awesome bead!
Old 2008-08-23, 5:53pm

I hate to say this, but this time, and I don't know why it happened, but all the bead release came out. I'm shocked. And yes, that is a wonderful bead! It's really stunning!

Old 2008-08-23, 5:59pm

Wait, you did one?! Show it! Did you just coil the glass up at one time? I need info.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-24, 7:06am

To die for!!!!! Beautiful!
Old 2008-08-25, 5:48pm

Alrighty, I tried to do this tonight three times. All I managed to do was pull the release off the bead. Grrrr...Does anybody know the trick here? Bueller? Anyone?
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-25, 7:15pm

I make these all the time and have never had a problem. There is an example of it, in one of my wife's Bead Unique mags. If you want I'll find the issue and maybe you could back order the issue.
Old 2008-08-26, 2:15am

Perhaps form it on a graphite rod, if you could do it without putting it in the flame too much? Then slip it off into the kiln.

Old 2008-08-26, 6:38am

Maybe it's the boro I'm using? Dunno.....
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-26, 6:29pm

I need to take some photos. I'll try to post tomorrow. I only use soft glass. I assume it would work with boro, too. All I did was wind the glass on the mandrel. I've heard of some people using graphite. I'd like to learn how to do that, too. I guess my big issue has been cleaning the spirals. My dremel is doing it this time. Go figure. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow. Hope I don't forget. Someone PM me if I do. Thanks.

Old 2008-08-26, 6:31pm

Thanks, Mallory, everyone. I got a little discouraged last night.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135