No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-05-22, 2:03pm

Default rubino strikes sooooo dark!

Hi!!!
Do you think if I mix my rubino with clear, it wont be quite so dark? I bought the rubino mix from Frantz and some of them strike really dark pink. I like the light to medium sort of variegated pink that I sometimes get.

Thx, Patti

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-05-22, 5:01pm

Hi Patti, what are you using it for? maybe you can try applying it much thinner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Magma Beads .

Old 2016-05-22, 8:35pm
Phill

Aye, a base of white and a thinner surface coating may give you what you are looking for.
Old 2016-05-22, 10:56pm
Slogan Challenged...

If you mix with clear, it might be okay but probably not an even color. Isn't that what veiled rubino is? IMO, you always have to use it over something.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-05-24, 9:09pm

I'm putting dots over white for flower petals. Sometimes it barely gets a blush pink, other times, it's ridiculously hot pink. Yuck. The blush is much prettier. I'm just applying small dots and flattening them.
Some rods strike WAY more than others. I don't want it to strike this much.
(Yes, I know, a rubino bead by itself....no. I know not to do this.)
I think I will try making a veiled cane.

Last edited by truegem; 2016-05-24 at 9:11pm.
Old 2016-05-25, 6:48am

try using the reichenbach one called pink lady rl 2015 or rl 2013

Old 2016-05-26, 2:38pm

I have a batch of rubino that's super saturated. I mix it with a lighter batch, just like you would when color blending, and pull thin rod or stringer from the mix. It only gets variegated when it's thinner or thicker though, since it's pretty well mixed.

Old 2016-06-04, 5:50pm
Artistically Absorbed

To dilute the Rubino with clear take a clear rod and encase the end with the Rubino and then encase it in clear again. Then mix. Then the Rubino will have a better chance of a good mix and not burning out the color since it won't get as hot as working it in the surface layers.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2016-06-13, 6:42am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I am envious that you got the good stuff. You can also make it lighter by adding a small drop of clear on top. The same way bright light can wash out a photo adding clear will make the color appear lighter. On the other hand, you might just buy some of the regular rubino and stash the saturated rubino for another time when you want a popping hot pink.

Tags
sail away