No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-15, 1:46pm
Dynamic Duo

Default Rod Rests

In the paint section a the hardware store I noticed these gizmos for sitting over paint cans, or in roller pans, to run your brush or roller over to remove excess paint. They were real cheap. Just bought and bent in half to make a V. Have been planning to cut off the curved 'legs' on the end, but have not done so yet.

I like these as there are multi levels for sticking the rods, either on top, or through the holes. Very little contact point for chilling the rods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-15, 2:10pm
flight risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming_fools View Post

Brilliant! Putting that on my list for the next Lowe's trip.

Old 2012-03-15, 3:09pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey*bee View Post
I have seen people use sharpened pencils before as pokes so I have some woodless graphite left over from art school and it can be sharpened to all kinds of tips, has to be clean though.
Oh I have a lot of those! I will go look.
Old 2012-03-15, 5:06pm
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming_fools View Post
In the paint section a the hardware store I noticed these gizmos for sitting over paint cans, or in roller pans, to run your brush or roller over to remove excess paint. They were real cheap. Just bought and bent in half to make a V. Have been planning to cut off the curved 'legs' on the end, but have not done so yet.
Nice, thanks! Special thanks for the picture too!
Old 2012-03-15, 11:56pm

Default brass dopping block

ok, I didn't actually make this, but I had it on hand and it's one of my current favorite tools, and I'm not using it as was intended.

In case you don't know, a dopping block is used to shape sheet metal. This one is a 2" cube of solid brass with a couple dozen hemispherical indentations all over it, in many different sizes.

I use the indentations to shape entire beads, or just to shape the ends. Especially useful to even up lumpy beads.

Lee

Last edited by steiconi; 2012-03-16 at 12:05am.
Old 2012-05-23, 5:50pm

I have a long handled pair of BBQ tongs, the open wire kind. I have wrapped the ends with several layers of aluminium foil, which makes them just right for picking up all sorts of things including mandrels with beads on the end, to put into the kiln, or arrange hot stuff already in there. Long handles mean that I don't get toasted.

KMD
Old 2012-06-26, 11:14pm

I love this thread! Great ideas. It needs to be renewed/refreshed!
Old 2012-06-27, 8:07am
Senior Moment

I use paint brush holders and cheap test tubes with a test tube holder for my rods and stringers that are in my current rotation, and I use a Towel hemostat to make holes. I have picture somewhere; will post it when I find it.
Old 2012-06-27, 4:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
ok, I didn't actually make this, but I had it on hand and it's one of my current favorite tools, and I'm not using it as was intended.

In case you don't know, a dopping block is used to shape sheet metal. This one is a 2" cube of solid brass with a couple dozen hemispherical indentations all over it, in many different sizes.

I use the indentations to shape entire beads, or just to shape the ends. Especially useful to even up lumpy beads.

Lee
Also a great frit holder. I agree it is a great shaping tool as well.

Old 2012-06-27, 7:45pm
Glass-aholic

I put a few dropps of bees wax in my dapping block holes for a great smooth rolling

I can't count the number of tools I have re-purposes or made from other things!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-06-29, 8:26am

I use stainless steel measuring spoons for flat marbles or cabochans. They make a great rounded top and you have many sizes to choose from.
Old 2012-06-29, 12:39pm

Brass has gotten pretty expensive, so I bought a couple of old brass door push plates off Ebay. Made a nice marver for large beads with one by adding extruded aluminum on the bottom for feet. The plates came with six holes already there, and I used those to attach the 90 degree angle stock to the bottom to make a nice stable base a good 1/2" off the table. It cools the glass faster than my graphite, so I really like using it for silver glass, too.

The second plate I cut in half, put a store-bought aluminum handle on the back and added brass screws and nuts to each corner from the rough back toward the smooth front to the depth of the bead I wanted. It makes a great press for larger beads. The results are extremely even, and if I wanted, I could change the screws to a different length to get a thicker or thinner bead. Total costs was about $30, and I couldn't find 1/8" brass plate stock for anywhere near that.

Toni
Old 2012-06-29, 6:16pm

Great idea Toni, Thanks!

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2012-06-29, 7:04pm

I usualy pickup useful looking bits and pieces at estate sales, garage sales, and the thrift store. often its the odd matched stainless flatware, tweezers, manicure tools and kitchen gadgets.
Often I will cut them up with a pair of tin snips or attack them with a file to improve the shape, or addapt them to my hand vice/exacto knife.
I think my most useful bit came out of the garage. An old wood rasp made some very nice fish scales.

As for finding heat sinks check with your local E-waste recycler. Usualy the CPU's are seperated from the mother board and scraped seperatly for the percious metals.
Old 2018-09-13, 8:54am

I watched someone on YouTube who uses bicycle spokes for mandrels
Old 2018-09-13, 9:56am

Revlon eyebrow tweezers are one of my favorites-- not the slant tips, but the fine points. Perfect for forming ears on sculptural critter beads or detailing fish fins. Just try to get plain steel ones. The fancy gold or rose-gold coatings on some of them wouldn't do well in the flame. Otherwise, they hold up better than any other fine-point tweezers I've tried.