Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

View Poll Results: Which glasses would you prefer to wear for Boro.
Didymium 16 18.39%
AUR 92 3 3.45%
AGW 186 2 2.30%
AGW 200 1 1.15%
AGW 203 13 14.94%
AGW 286 25 28.74%
Phillips 202 ACE 4 4.60%
Phillips 202 Boroscopes 15 17.24%
Phillips 202 ACE/Boroscopes (split lenses) 8 9.20%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-11-17, 2:11pm
Borovangelist

I've got 250 #5 full coverage goggles. They're pretty dark and I'd almost prefer a pair of ACE lenses for 104 work but hey, I just turn on another of those metal clip lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2007-12-03, 10:07pm

I've been using the shade 5 welder things over my prescription didymiums and crap I can't see a thing!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2015-12-31, 4:51pm

I use Wale Apparatus geek shade's B-3 series which is a shade 3 lense that offers UV, sodium flare, and IR protection. I used normal diddy's for boro before that and it's better than nothing but didn't provide the proper protection at all. My eyes would hurt after long nights.

The wale shades are nice and dark and are super light on my face (lighter weight than typical econ diddy's). And for $82 dollars I think it's a good deal!

Sometimes I'll switch to my diddy's just for a quick fire polish at the end. Makes it a little easier to see.

Last edited by St3wY; 2015-12-31 at 5:00pm.
Old 2016-01-01, 6:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3wY View Post

Sometimes I'll switch to my diddy's just for a quick fire polish at the end. Makes it a little easier to see.
Even a few seconds of unprotected exposure with Diddys can cause damage. Diddys are NOT sufficient protection for boro.
Old 2016-01-03, 4:32pm

I agree Larry!
Old 2016-02-29, 5:48am
DaveK

Default Boro Eyewear Poll.

I got a pair of Phillips Green ACE block IR, UV, and sodium flare. Shade 5.0

But after putting up 6 or 7 lights in my work area I only ever use them when I pull cane or know in advance I'll be using the outer flame on my GTT Mirage. They are too dark for me to do any detail work even with all of the extra lighting.

Most of the time I use shade 3 diddys & a flip up magnifier head apparatus

and Blast Shield's IR filter glass shield because I have personally known more than one lampworker who have gotten skin cancer on their face which no amount of eye protection can help with.

http://www.theblastshield.com/BScustomoptions.html
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2016-02-29 at 6:03am.
Old 2016-04-13, 6:27pm

Been doing glass since 1980 with same old pair of glasses, eyes are fine.
Old 2016-04-14, 5:34am
ManBearPig

Just a word about glasses...

There have been multiple reports about Phillips glasses recently and the glass/filter/whatever not being sufficient to cut through the sodium flare. I know Phillips is supposedly fixing them, but before you buy any Phillips do some research.

I will only use or recommend Aura Lens myself.

Old 2016-12-11, 10:33pm

I'm so horrible about peaking.....

Old 2016-12-12, 8:10am
DaveK

Update: I got the prescription AGW-300s after attending Roger Parramore's class. He has been using these type of glasses for 40 years with boro. I do have a pair of shade 3 flip downs and still use my blast shield IR filter. My back pain only allows me to work 3-5 hours a day. I suppose if I was doing milli pulls 8-10 hours a day I would need darker flip-ups. Anyway, it's great getting rid of the flip-up magnifier. TIP: If you don't like heavy glasses I would recommend flip-up shades for your street prescription glasses, also would be a cheaper option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2021-07-11, 12:00am

Is there anyone from my location here? I am from https://worldpostalcode.com/canada/quebec/montreal. So I would like to find a store close to me. It would be great if you could give me a hint where to get the cheapest glasses in my area. You can send me links to my private mail box if you cannot share links here. But I hope it will not be considered an advertisement.

Last edited by goodisa; 2021-07-11 at 1:19pm.
Old 2021-07-11, 11:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Just a word about glasses...

There have been multiple reports about Phillips glasses recently and the glass/filter/whatever not being sufficient to cut through the sodium flare. I know Phillips is supposedly fixing them, but before you buy any Phillips do some research.

I will only use or recommend Aura Lens myself.
This was a myth propagated by another manufacturer and has been thouroughly debunked years ago. Dont believe everything you hear.