LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Bavarian Beads

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-07-17, 12:57am
I fart diamonds

Default Quickie Ribbon Cane Tutorial (Simplified, no Pics)

Ribbon Cane:

Basically, you take a rod of a pale transparent (clear or whatever):

1. Melt a blob and mash it into a paddle.
2. Square off the sides.
3. Paint a color (thinly) on 1 side of your paddle.
4. Paint another color on top of that (if you want 2 tone)
5. Cover that side with a big blob of the base transparent.
6. Flip the paddle over and put another big blob of clear on that side and all around the edges. (your color should be right in the middle of the blob, now.)
7. Attach another rod of the base transparent to the other side so that you now have a handle on each side.
8. melt the blob evenly, keeping it from getting distorted.
9. When it gets soft enough (melty but not quite drippy), flip it vertical and start to pull and twist at the same time.

Don't twist or pull too fast or the ribbon will get distorted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-07-17, 4:51am

Oooo, thank you Shawnette. I saw that gorgeous pink cane on your blog and wished I could do those. Lovin' that red, white, and blue one too. I still need practice with the pulling/twisting rate, but now I can try this one also Thanks again.

Old 2006-07-17, 5:08am
KAS Lampwork Beads

Thank you Shawnette! I've been wondering for a long time how those cane are made....and yours are the most beautiful! I do have a question...when the cane is applied to a bead, how do you keep it from distorting? Thanks again for the very well explained tut! Enjoy your week....Kathleen
Old 2006-07-17, 9:12am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Thanks Shawnette!!! Such talent & so sweet/thoughtful to share this "how to". I bought some of this several years ago from a vendor....but the cane is too big to use on a bead....OHHHH, if I only had those early spent $$$ back! GREAT TUTORIAL!!

Old 2006-07-17, 9:56am
Mr Brutus RIP

Awesome tutorial shawnette!!! Your canes are beautiful!!!!
sue
Old 2006-07-17, 2:31pm
I fart diamonds

Thanks, y'all!! (Gawd I love that word!)

Kathleen, it all depends on what you want the final look to be, but basically it's all about heat control. Just get the cane hot enough to bend and adhere to the bead, but not melt. Then melt it in very slowly and carefully. Another method is once the cane is on, heat the bead, not the cane, and the cane will sink into the bead intact. I'm still working on mastering the use of the cane, but those are the 2 methods that were shown to me by Jeff Barber. He's so awesome!!

Old 2006-07-18, 9:22am
KAS Lampwork Beads

Thank you! K-
Old 2006-07-18, 9:38am

cool! thanks shawnette!

Old 2006-07-18, 7:56pm
daughter and I

thanks for the advice about melting cane into the bead using indirect heat! I'll try that.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2006-07-18, 10:30pm

S - Used your tutorial to make the top and bottom twisties in this picture. Not the best picture.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-07-19, 4:41am
Mermaid in Training

I have been practicing twisty's but mine seem to be thick... 4/5 mm I am getting about 5 inches or so in the pull which is good.... is their a way to get them thinner without distorting?

Dizzy Bead on Etsy
Old 2006-07-20, 6:13pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsynchro
I have been practicing twisty's but mine seem to be thick... 4/5 mm I am getting about 5 inches or so in the pull which is good.... is their a way to get them thinner without distorting?
pull and twist faster. It's just like when you pull stringer. The faster you pull, the thinner it will be.

Old 2006-08-04, 7:26am
Does it come in Purple???

Is the vertical pulling the "seceret" I always pull horizontally but I am not totally happy with my results. I guess I will give this a try. Thanks for the tut!

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2006-08-04, 12:04pm
<--misses Austin buddies

"flip it vertical " she says slapping her forehead maybe this would make it more even...

thanks shawnette!
~Becky

Old 2006-08-05, 11:17am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuskinDesigns
Is the vertical pulling the "seceret" I always pull horizontally but I am not totally happy with my results. I guess I will give this a try. Thanks for the tut!
I actually pull at more like a 70-80 degree angle. Not horizontal, but not totally vertical, either.

Old 2006-08-05, 11:17am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
S - Used your tutorial to make the top and bottom twisties in this picture. Not the best picture.
Nice!!

Old 2006-08-06, 4:43am
Viking Flame Keeper

Gorgeous twisties Shawnette!
Have you made any beads with the red-white-blue twistie? Any pictures?

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2006-08-06, 7:04am

Thanks for sharing! I need to PPP at this. I heat it up too much (I think) and when I pull it I end up with a very pretty, very short toothpick lookin kind of thing! I'll keep working on it though. Thanks for the tips.

It's great to be a FLORIDA GATOR!
Old 2006-08-11, 4:22pm
Lost & confused

Thanks for that Shawnette.. I particularly like your tip about flipping the blob vertically and twisting.. don't know what I hadn't thought of that before!

Cheers,
Sue

Last edited by 2catsdesigns; 2006-08-11 at 7:00pm.
Old 2006-08-14, 10:24pm

Thanks Shawnette! The part about the vertical, that makes so much sense!
Old 2006-10-15, 5:07pm
Crazy Snake Lady

My first ribbon cane attempt - what fun!!! It's not exactly right but I'm happy with it.

Thank you for the great tutorial!
Old 2006-11-22, 10:59pm

ok I found this after I looked for encased twisty
I need help on keeping colors from bleeding anyone have those issues..

I want to be a "goddess" of twisties like Nette... Those are so awesome..

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2006-11-24, 6:41am
I've got goodies!

Thanks!

To keep colors from bleeding, encase them in clear before using (like Karin said in your other thread).

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2006-11-24, 5:51pm

well well I got an answer in both spots immediately ( I asked both places incase people were looking for the same info, with the incorrect names) LOL I can't wait to try again on our next day..

Thanks bunchs

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2007-06-15, 4:53pm
Dangerous Woman

Whoo Hoo!!!! I did it! I thought I couldn't, but I kept saying "I think I can. I think I can." And I did it! Thanks soooooo much Shawnette!!!!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-06-18, 5:08pm
just plain silly

YIPPEEEEEEEE Coyote !!!!! I just tried this cane Shawnette.... and I did it on the first try! This is the most exciting thing that has happened to me today!

Suzanne